Great ending

1 567 visningar

Ivy

oläst,
4 sep. 2007 16:31:452007-09-04
till Interactive Drama Façade Forum
Somehow, their marriage was saved.

FACADE STAGEPLAY
Tue Sep 04 16 23 46 2007

GRACE
Trip, when are you going to get rid of this?

TRIP
What, Grace... this?

GRACE
Yes, you know how I feel about it --

TRIP
I know I know I'll do it right now, alright?!

GRACE
You know I've had to ask you about this several --

TRIP
Get off my back! I'll get rid of it in just a minute!

GRACE
Fine, Trip... fine...

(Ashley knocks on the front door.)

(Ashley knocks on the front door.)

TRIP
Oh, she's here!

GRACE
What?! You told me it'd be an hour from now!

(Ashley knocks on the front door.)

(Ashley knocks on the front door.)

TRIP
No, she's right on time!

(Ashley knocks on the front door.)

(Ashley knocks on the front door.)

GRACE
God... Trip!

(Ashley knocks on the front door.)

(Trip opens the front door.)

TRIP
Ashley!!

ASHLEY
Hi there

TRIP
Ah I'm so happy you could make it! -- (interrupted)

(ASHLEY hugs trip.)

(ASHLEY kisses trip.)

TRIP
Yeah, hi!

TRIP
Oh, ha ha, the European greeting! I love it!

TRIP
We just got back from Italy where they do that all the time!

TRIP
So come on in!

ASHLEY
ok

TRIP
Y -- yeah, come in!

TRIP
Uh, I'll -- I'll go get Grace...

TRIP
(unintelligable arguing)

TRIP
(unintelligable arguing)

TRIP
(unintelligable arguing)

GRACE
Ashley,

GRACE
Hi! How are you? Oh god it's been such a long time!

ASHLEY
Grace. Hi.

(ASHLEY hugs grace.)

GRACE
H-mmm (happy smile sound)

(ASHLEY kisses grace.)

GRACE
Oh, yes, mm-wah! (kiss on cheek) You're so sweet.

GRACE
Make yourself at home, come on in!

ASHLEY
thanks

GRACE
Oh, H-mmm (happy smile sound)

GRACE
And, I've got to say, you look really good!

ASHLEY
you too

(Trip closes the front door.)

TRIP
Uh -- well, we should drink.

TRIP
How does a martini sound?

ASHLEY
ok

TRIP
Perfect!

GRACE
No no,

GRACE
Ashley, maybe you'd like some juice, or a mineral water?

ASHLEY
no

ASHLEY
vodka

TRIP
Oh yeah, great idea, great idea!

TRIP
Aha! Great! Drinks comin' right up!

GRACE
(little sigh) You know Trip, he never gets tired of making fancy
drinks for whoever will indulge him.

TRIP
(quiet humming)

TRIP
Grace, perhaps you'll take a walk on the wild side and join us in a
real drink?

(ASHLEY picks up the advice ball.)

GRACE
(little sigh) Um... that sounds... nice. I'll have that too.

(The advice ball reads, "No")

(ASHLEY puts down the advice ball.)

(ASHLEY picks up the advice ball.)

(ASHLEY puts down the advice ball.)

TRIP
Oh! Uh... Okay.

(ASHLEY picks up a Grace's drink.)

GRACE
Ashley, seeing you again makes me remember the wonderful times we all
used to have. -- (interrupted)

PHONE
** RING **

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
Oh, I'll get it --

PHONE
** RING **

GRACE
No, no, we have a guest, we can let the answering machine pick it up.

ASHLEY
phone

PHONE
** RING **

GRACE
What? Wait, wait, let's just wait for the answering machine...

PHONE
** RING **

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
Well I'll just put this on the bar for you.

ANSWERING MACHINE
** click **

ANSWERING MACHINE
You've reached the fabulous new home of Grace and Trip. Leave us a
message!

(ASHLEY puts down a Grace's drink.)

TRIP
Well, Grace's parents... They're something else, really classy people
--

ANSWERING MACHINE
** beep **

(ASHLEY picks up a player's drink.)

ANSWERING MACHINE
Grace, this is your father, I thought I'd call to see how my lovely
daughter is doing.

GRACE
Uhh, no, they're impossible, they're always expecting me to act like
the dutiful daughter, it's so annoying.

ANSWERING MACHINE
I want you and Trip to come up to the house this weekend, your mother
and I are throwing a party for a senior VP at the firm, and you should
be there.

TRIP
(frustrated sigh)

(ASHLEY puts down a player's drink.)

(ASHLEY picks up a player's drink.)

ANSWERING MACHINE
Oh, and be sure to arrive early, I want to talk to you about this
business about why you won't be attending your mother's Christmas Eve
gala.

GRACE
(big sigh)

(ASHLEY sips her player's drink.)

ANSWERING MACHINE
(clear throat) So, that's all. Uh, goodbye.

GRACE
Oh God, Ashley, I hope you didn't come here tonight to be
entertained...

(ASHLEY puts down a player's drink.)

TRIP
What?

ASHLEY
no problem

TRIP
Y -- yeah, yeah, n - no no no, wait, uh, w - what's wrong, Grace?

GRACE
Trip, have you noticed, we're fighting in front of our friend.

TRIP
Grace, come on, it's not helping things for you to say that...

GRACE
Trip, it's okay if we disagree in front of our friend --

TRIP
Disagreeing?! We're NOT disagreeing. We're, we're not.

TRIP
(frustrated sigh) Sheejus.

TRIP
Well... you two are all chummy already... that's, that's good...

(Trip sips his Trip's drink.)

TRIP
Ashley, I -- I want you to look at this photo from our recent trip to
Italy...

GRACE
(impatient sigh) Trip, maybe our friend would prefer --

(ASHLEY picks up a player's drink.)

TRIP
Grace, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean our friend
won't...

(ASHLEY puts down a player's drink.)

(ASHLEY picks up a Grace's drink.)

GRACE
Ashley, come over here and sit on the couch with me.

TRIP
Grace...!!!

TRIP
Now, now, Ashley, in one word, what does this picture make you
think of?

ASHLEY
i've seen better

TRIP
Just -- just -- just try to think of one word...

GRACE
How about oppressive.

TRIP
Christ! I take her to Italy to see the art she supposedly likes, and
she calls me oppressive.

GRACE
(short petulant sigh)

TRIP
(frustrated sigh) Just one word for this.

ASHLEY
opressive.

TRIP
Romance! It says... romance...!

GRACE
(little sigh) Ashley, I liked your answer better.

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
Dammit, Grace, I was trying to give us a romantic weekend in Europe
together!

GRACE
What is it with you and your obsession with Europe? You take enough
goddamn business trips there as it is!

TRIP
I'm not obsessed with Europe... I --

GRACE
You want to be seen as this sophisticated traveler.

ASHLEY
Maria.

GRACE
Um, wait...

GRACE
You think...

GRACE
Maria...

TRIP
Ha ha, ha, oh, you're -- you're quite the kidder tonight, ha ha ha...

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Ha ha, yeah...

TRIP
Ha ha, heh, never afraid to say anything that pops into your mind, ha
heh heh... -- (interrupted)

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
Huh... well, yeah, hold on, um... (clears throat)

GRACE
And I missed my friend's art show.

TRIP
What? Who is this?

GRACE
A friend from college had a gallery show of his new paintings that
weekend. (little sigh)

TRIP
Oh, okay... It's not like there was tons of art we could have seen
in Italy, if you had just left the hotel room...

GRACE
(frustrated sigh)

TRIP
Alright, good, heh heh, maybe you're on my side tonight after all, ha
ha.

GRACE
You know, ever since we got married, Trip is forever trying to get me
to buy new furniture, and redecorate,

GRACE
and -- and it's true, I kind of enjoy it but...

(Trip sips his Trip's drink.)

TRIP
Well, yeah, it's great, everybody loves it when they come in and see
our latest decoration scheme!

GRACE
But, Ashley, you have to look at this room, and admit it looks
terrible.

TRIP
Grace --

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
I mean, -- (interrupted)

TRIP
No no, no no, see, Grace loves expensive furniture, she...

TRIP
grew up in this really nice house, with really nice couches and fancy
dishes, and, and she can't live without this stuff.

ASHLEY
it sucks.

GRACE
Oh, but this room is a complete mess!

GRACE
You know at work I waste all day designing ads for apartments with
perfect views like this,

GRACE
and then it makes me think, I want to design it into my apartment...

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
This view makes me feel like a million bucks.

GRACE
but... dammit, I'm wrong, I simply want a view of trees and green!

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Ah, what a nice surprise, an honest answer!

TRIP
Ashley, Wait! Grace, I don't know where you're getting this --

GRACE
You know, Trip, do you realize that if you hadn't convinced me to go
into advertising, I could have painted that painting on the wall
instead of buying it!

TRIP
(short petulant sigh)

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
Oh, yeah, we've seen how your artist friends live, as if you could
survive that kind of lifestyle! Give me a break!

TRIP
Ahh, this is bullshit!

GRACE
Ahh, no, you're full of shit!

GRACE
As if you could survive...

GRACE
You keep trying to make our lives so shallow and fake! I don't want
to live a fake life, Trip! -- (interrupted)

ASHLEY
Is this worth arguing about?

GRACE
Look, you're going to really make it bad if you keep criticizing me!

TRIP
(little impatient sigh) Ashley, I...

TRIP
(frustrated sigh)

GRACE
And you...

GRACE
I can predict what you'll say...

ASHLEY
I was talking to Trip.

GRACE
Huh? What are you saying to me?

TRIP
Goddamn, what did you say? I... am cheating...

TRIP
What is everybody hinting at? That I'm a bad person? That I don't
love my wife? What? -- (interrupted)

GRACE
Oh, yeah, yeah, right!

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Yeah, okay, again with that, okay...

GRACE
Alright, you know what, Ashley,

GRACE
I need to ask you something.

TRIP
Grace --

GRACE
Trip, let me ask our guest a question.

GRACE
Ashley, yes or no...

GRACE
Does marriage have to be the most highest, beautiful, most passionate,
thing in your life?

TRIP
What?

GRACE
I mean, is it wrong to have other things in your life that are more
passionate than your marriage?

GRACE
Yes or no.

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
What...?!

GRACE
Oh, alright... yes...

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

GRACE
There's no passion in our marriage, Trip, no... beauty... no
anything! It's completely and utterly devoid of everything!

TRIP
Oh, god...!

TRIP
Uhh! Yeah, go on, go away!

(ASHLEY sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
I can't even frigging look at you.

TRIP
Goddammit, Grace!

(ASHLEY puts down a Grace's drink.)

(ASHLEY picks up the brass bull.)

(ASHLEY puts down the brass bull.)

(ASHLEY picks up the advice ball.)

TRIP
uhh!

(The advice ball reads, "Why Not")

(ASHLEY puts down the advice ball.)

TRIP
Ashley, this has never ever happened before...!

(ASHLEY comforts trip.)

TRIP
Hey, hey -- hey, no, I -- I don't...

GRACE
What, I can't hear you, are you talking to me?

TRIP
I was not talking to you!

GRACE
Ashley, (annoyed sigh) Trip is sometimes so...

TRIP
Oh, we're talking about me again, are we?

GRACE
What?

GRACE
Ashley, it's time that Trip finally just admits that our marriage --

TRIP
Grace, don't, no, you don't need to --

GRACE
Admits that our marriage is not --

TRIP
Stop it, stop it! (annoyed sigh)

ASHLEY
Leave her alone.

GRACE
Ah!

TRIP
Jesus, what the hell are you talking about?! That makes no sense!

TRIP
No we need -- we need to talk about us both, not just one.

GRACE
Trip, can't you see, it's the way you speak, the way you talk to
me...!

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Yes?

TRIP
See, I'm the one trying to reach out to you, Grace...

GRACE
Uhh...

ASHLEY
no

TRIP
Ashley, what, is there something I should do?

TRIP
Let's keep talking about us both, not just one of us.

ASHLEY
Maria.

(ASHLEY picks up a Trip's drink.)

TRIP
Heh, hey... heh heh heh, hey, no no no, don't -- don't try to... don't
-- don't to try accuse me of -- of -- of anything with Maria...

GRACE
Oh God...

TRIP
No -- no, no, Grace, don't, don't even about think that -- look, look
--

(ASHLEY puts down a Trip's drink.)

TRIP
look, our -- our 'friend' has just gone too far this time, that's all
that's happening here...!

ASHLEY
Maria told me the truth.

GRACE
Uhh, Ashley, you know, we already talked about that...
(frustrated sigh)

TRIP
Grace, even though you're now a creative director at work, and even
though you redecorate the apartment all the time, -- (interrupted)

ASHLEY
divorce

GRACE
Ah!

TRIP
D -- divorce? Ashley, you think we should get a divorce?

ASHLEY
yes

TRIP
Yes?

TRIP
This is bullshit...! you're saying it's over, we should just give
up...?!

TRIP
Uhh...

ASHLEY
or therapy

TRIP
Why?

ASHLEY
therapy.

TRIP
Ah!

GRACE
Th -- uhh... therapy? uhh... you think we need therapy?

TRIP
Huh!

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Yes?

TRIP
Ah, thank you, just saying that helps us...

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Ashley, (frustrated sigh)

TRIP
Let's talk some more about us both.

GRACE
You know, I... uhh... I really don't have anyone to talk to...

TRIP
Grace...!

GRACE
Heh, my so-called 'friends', they're just jealous of us, if you can
believe that...

TRIP
Ashley, we... uhh...

GRACE
I think... I think... Trip and I are drifting... I'm afraid we're
becoming... disconnected...

TRIP
Grace! What are you saying?

ASHLEY
lets get high

TRIP
God Grace, the only thing you should be afraid of is misplacing your
credit cards... heh... heh... -- (interrupted)

GRACE
Uhh

GRACE
Damn it, Trip, you and my parents are always planning these stupid
trips I have to go on..

TRIP
They're vacations! Expensive ones at that!

GRACE
Of course nobody thinks to ask me what I want.

ASHLEY
Italy is wonderful.

TRIP
I tried to give Grace the best during our Italy vacation. The best
hotels, the best food...

GRACE
Do you hear yourself, Trip? The only thing you care about a vacation
is that it's 'the best'.

TRIP
Ugh!

TRIP
See Grace? There's no problem.

GRACE
Trip, don't you... Uhh, what's the use.

GRACE
Look, let's not focus on just me or you, let's talk about us.

GRACE
Trip, you just pretend to like all this stuff... fancy cigars, and
fine wine...

TRIP
You think I'm not good enough...!

GRACE
I never said that! I'm saying there's more to you than all this...

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Yes?

GRACE
Ashley, thank you, that helps us. Trip, I know that you like to
hang out at the little sports bar on the corner.

TRIP
What... what -- n -- no... I, I -- I mean...

GRACE
Trip, it's alright.

TRIP
Oh, geez...

TRIP
Oh God... this is so frigging insane... uhh...

TRIP
Oh, geez...

GRACE
Let's keep talking about us, our relationship.

TRIP
Grace, I -- I want to take care of you...

GRACE
Trip...

TRIP
You've always wanted that, I know you did...

GRACE
Trip... Ashley, we... uhh...

GRACE
Okay, that's it, goddammit, I can't do this anymore!

ASHLEY
ok

GRACE
Ashley, I know what you're trying to hint at...

GRACE
about me...

GRACE
Do you two want to hear the honest truth? Huh?

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Trip, huh?

TRIP
Yes...!

GRACE
Ashley, I've actually been paying close attention to what you've been
saying tonight.

GRACE
You've really been pushing me.

GRACE
And I wonder, are -- are you really my friend...?

ASHLEY
yes

TRIP
Grace!

GRACE
Ashley, Stop interrupting me, let me speak!

GRACE
Ashley, come on -- yes or no...

GRACE
Do you really think that...

GRACE
criticizing Trip...

GRACE
suggesting we get divorced...

GRACE
and worst of all,

GRACE
suggesting that Trip is cheating on me...

GRACE
and what you said about having other things in your life...

GRACE
that I'm supposed to realize something about myself from all that?

ASHLEY
yes

GRACE
Okay.

GRACE
Alright... look... (big sigh)

GRACE
Ashley, Everything's fine, we're not... uhh... we're fine...

TRIP
Yeah...

GRACE
I -- I think it's okay if you... need to go...

GRACE
You know, Ashley, nothing's changed, we're fine... we'll see you
out.

TRIP
Thanks for coming over... it, it -- it was fun.

(ASHLEY knocks on the front door.)

(ASHLEY opens the front door.)

GRACE
Alright, so, so we'll see you sometime, don't -- don't be a stranger.

(ASHLEY points to the elevator button.)

(ASHLEY points to the elevator button.)

Svara alla
Svara författaren