R2K Statement: Join the Defiance Campaign: reject the Covid-19 Gathering Regulations!

Busi Mtabane

Feb 23, 2021, 11:35:00 AM2/23/21

R2K Statement:  Join the Defiance Campaign: reject the Covid-19 Gathering Regulations!

On Wednesday 24 February 24, supporters of R2K in Cape Town, Durban and Gauteng will protest against an austerity budget that drives economic stagnation. On this day, Minister of Finance, Tito Mboweni will deliver his 2021 Budget Speech.

We will be defying the current Covid-19 regulations that prohibit political gatherings because we believe the government is using them to suppress dissent. Other gatherings are permitted in the current regulations except for political gatherings and we strongly believe that this is an attack on our right to protest.  The Covid-19 Gathering Regulations are irrational and unconstitutional - they must be scrapped!

The right to protest is pivotal for the proper functioning of a democracy and the ability for ordinary people to demand accountability and justice.

We have witnessed how dissent is met with threats, repression and police brutality in this country but last week two ANC political gatherings took place outside Bloemfontein High Court and Western Cape High Court where ANC leaders are facing corruption charges happened without any police interference.

The government has failed to produce a pro-poor budget that invests in social infrastructure and service delivery and the poor feel left out as the fruits of democracy only benefit a few politically connected individuals. Corruption is rampant and politicians continue to loot with

impunity. For too many, democracy does not deliver on its promises. Instead of a better life, the government is serving austerity, unemployment, violence and repression.

The government is manipulating the COVID-19 pandemic to find reasons to shut down protests and make it even harder for activists to organise and participate in protests lawfully. As citizens, it is our duty and our responsibility to defend the right to freedom of assembly.

NB: We will gather peacefully, masked and we will observe social distancing.

Picket Details:

Gauteng: Baragwanath Hospital, CCMA, Dept of Labour, Gauteng Legislature, Premier’s offices and Central Police Station

Time: 10AM to 13:20PM

Western Cape: Keizersgracht Street

11AM to 1PM

KwaZulu-Natal: Durban City Hall

Time: 1PM to 3PM

For further information contact:

Thami Nkosi, Anti-Repression Focus Organiser: 062 624 5992

Moeketsi Monaheng, R2K Gauteng Organiser: 078 0417402

Sthembiso Khuluse, R2K KZN Organiser: 081 575 3832

Nomacebo Mbayo, R2K WC Organiser: 060 676 4795

ONLINE VERSION: https://bit.ly/3aJxGxl

NB: Please attribute all contents of this statement to the Right2Know, not to any individual unless you contact a spokesperson for specific comments.

Sent on behalf of R2K by: Busi Mtabane

Right2Know Communicator
083 329 7844
bu...@r2k.org.za
Right2Know Campaign

More about the
Right2Know Campaign:
www.r2k.org.za | @r2kcampaign | @r2kcampaign @r2kcampaign

Join the Defiance Campaign - reject the Covid Gathering Regulations!.docx