Obesity & Heart Attacks

Message has been deleted

Yogi Gupta

Oct 4, 2008, 5:45:45 PM10/4/08
to IndiaCurry.com Cooking
The following article appeared In IndiaCurry.com log. The log has been
closed. It is an inpmortant article, so I am posting it here
___________________________________

Pop and Vanaspati /Margarine and Indians
Obesity & Heart Attacks
VINOD K SETH MD FCCP
August 28, 2005
Life Span is dropping - specially among Indians living in America. We,
Indians are dramatically affected. Pop along with the Trans Fatty
Acids hidden in fast food, franchise restaurant food, school and
employee cafeteria food and many items in our grocery stores, are
major culprits. They are indeed quite a one-two punch straight to our
gut. They attack us together, often on the same fast food or school
cafeteria tray.
At issue for Indians is continued use by many Bakeries, Halwais,
Chatwallas (papri, alloo tikki, jalebi, mutthee, gulab jamun etc) and
some restaurants including fast food restaurants such as Haldiram's,
KFC, McDonald’s among others and Pizza places of this industrially
manufactured harmful food ingredient. Most Halwais in New York,
Chicago and elsewhere use Vanaspati. It’s cheaper for them but we pay
the price.
Trans fats have been categorically proven to increase heart attacks
and heart arrhythmias; cause poorer pregnancy outcomes by increasing
pre-eclampsia and decreasing fetal birth weight; to impact nerve
health potentially lowering IQ in the new born and infant and damaging
the retina increasing macular degeneration and blindness in the
elderly. They also increase complications in diabetic patients.
Sugars in large quantities in the vast choice of pop and similar
drinks bypass our brain's appetite and satiety center; stimulate high
insulin levels and abdominal fat accumulation. Each meal eaten has
hundreds of added liquid calories that we drink! This and lack of
exercise is primary in our national obesity epidemic.
When eating out ask about Trans fats. Your heart, your eyes and your
baby’s brain depends on it. The only liquid you should drink with your
meals is water, or milk if you so desire. Your life depends on it.
VINOD K SETH MD FCCP, CLINICAL PROF OF MEDICINE, Univ of North Dakota
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, 1250 W Highland Acres Rd, BISMARCK ND 5850. (701)
223-4234, (701) 426-4788