IDEO Know How Talk THURSDAY (4.1) at 5:00 pm - Yoriko Kishimoto

Rickson Sun

Mar 25, 2010, 5:06:38 PM3/25/10
to ideoknow...@googlegroups.com

Know How Talks at IDEO
Thursday, 4/1/10 - 5:00 pm
IDEO Cafe*
Free and open to the public

Yoriko Kishimoto, Former Mayor of Palo Alto and expert on Transportation.

Imagining Transportation Futures

Transportation has been a major employer and mainstay of American industry but over the past few years has become a symbol of our failure to stay competitive and innovative. We have transitioned from horse-drawn buggies to trolleys to cars, and the one certainty is that change is coming.

Yoriko Kishimoto will present a range of perspectives on the future of transportation, through the lenses of regulatory and industrial barriers and incentives to innovate across a number of travel modes from high speed rail to bicycles to automobile. Can California take a leadership role in the revitalization of an exciting transportation revolution or will it miss the opportunity? What futures can we imagine to invent mobility for an age when we are concerned about climate crisis, community health, and economic vitality?

Yoriko Kishimoto was mayor of Palo Alto in 2007, with a call to “build a green economy through innovation.” She has a Stanford MBA, is author of The Third Century: America’s Resurgence in the Asian Era (1988), and an expert on transportation. She is passionate about walkable, bikeable communities and was a co-founder of the Peninsula Cities Consortium, which brought five cities together to work on high-speed-rail related issues. Yoriko served on the Valley Transportation Authority Board of Directors, where she advocated for a real-time data system for transit systems, carshare and bikeshare pilot programs, community shuttles, and electrification of Caltrain and integration with the other regional rail systems. She is now a candidate for State Assembly District 21.

Moderated by IDEO’s
Dennis Boyle

Here's our PROGRAM for Thursday (see attached poster):

5:00 – A thought starter:
Dennis Boyle, who is one of the leaders of IDEO’s Health
and Wellness practice, will give a brief perspective on the importance that the bicycle has played in the culture and the business of IDEO over the years as part of his introduction to Yoriko's talk on the future of Transportation in the SF Bay Area.

5:15 – Yoriko Kishimoto
Yoriko will present imagining transportation futures.

5:50 – Discussion – Dennis will moderate a discussion.

*The Know How Talks are usually held on Thursdays at 5:00,
in IDEO's Palo Alto cafe next to our lobby at 100 Forest.
Enter from the alley between Alma St and High St.

The talks are open to the public. No need to RSVP.

To join the announcement list, please add yourself to the IDEO Know How Talks group: http://groups.google.com/group/IdeoKnowHowTalks

Rickson Sun

IDEO
100 Forest Avenue