IDEO Know How Talk TUESDAY (9.22) at 5:00 pm - Colin Beavan, "No Impact Man"

1 view

Bill Moggridge

Sep 18, 2009, 7:56:06 PM9/18/09
to Weil, Stephen, Varma, Sarita
Know How Talks at IDEO
Tuesday, 9/22/09 5:00 pm (Please note unusual day)
IDEO Cafe*
Free and open to the public

Colin Beavan
Colin is the author of two previous books that have absolutely nothing to do with the environment: Fingerprints: The Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science and Operation Jedburgh: D-Day and America’s First Shadow War. His writing has appeared in Esquire, The Atlantic, and The New York Times, and he posts regularly at www.noimpactman.com. He lives in New York City.

Here's our PROGRAM for Tuesday (see attached poster):
5:00 - A thought starter from Steve Bishop, global lead of the Sustainability Domain at IDEO.
5:15 – No Impact Man - A guilty liberal finally snaps, swears off plastic, goes organic, becomes a bicycle nut, turns off his power, and generally becomes a tree-hugging lunatic who tries to save the polar bears and the rest of the planet from environmental catastrophe while dragging his baby daughter and Prada-wearing, Four Seasons–loving wife along for the ride. And that’s just the beginning. Bill McKibben meets Bill Bryson in this seriously engaging look at one man’s decision to put his money where his mouth is and go off the grid for one year—while still living in New York City—to see if it’s possible to make no net impact on the environment. In other words, no trash, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no air-conditioning, no television . . .

What would it be like to try to live a no-impact lifestyle? Is it possible? Could it catch on? Is living this way more satisfying or less satisfying? Harder or easier? Is it worthwhile or senseless? Are we all doomed or can our culture reduce the barriers to sustainable living so it becomes as easy as falling off a log? These are the questions at the heart of this whole mad endeavor, via which Colin Beavan hopes to explain to the rest of us how we can realistically live a more “eco-effective” and by turns more content life in an age of inconvenient truths.
5:50 – Discussion – Steve Bishop will moderate a discussion.

Upcoming Know How Talks
Thursday, 10/1/09 Steen Strand & Kirk Hawkins, Founders of Icon Aircraft at 5:00 pm
Thursday, 10/22/09 Premal Shah, CEO of Kiva at 5:00 pm

*The Know How Talks are usually held on Thursdays at 5:00,
in IDEO's Palo Alto cafe next to our lobby at 100 Forest.
Enter from the alley between Alma St and High St.

The talks are open to the public. No need to RSVP.

To join the announcement list, please add yourself to the IDEO Know How Talks group:
http://groups.google.com/group/IdeoKnowHowTalks

Bill Moggridge

IDEO
100 Forest Avenue