IDEO Know How Talk THURSDAY (7.1) at 5:00 pm - Jill Tarter

Rickson Sun

Jun 28, 2010, 8:59:45 PM6/28/10
to ideoknow...@googlegroups.com

Know How Talks at IDEO
Thursday, 7/1/10 - 5:00 pm
IDEO Cafe*
Free and open to the public

Jill Tarter, Director, Center for SETI Research at SETI Institute.

SETI Turns 50-Five Decades in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence

Jill Tarter holds the Bernard M. Oliver Chair for SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) and is Director of the

Center for SETI Research at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California. Tarter received her Bachelor of Engineering

Physics Degree with Distinction from Cornell University and her Master’s Degree and a Ph.D. in Astronomy from

the University of California, Berkeley. She served as Project Scientist for NASA’s SETI program, the High Resolution

Microwave Survey, and has conducted numerous observational programs at radio observatories worldwide. Since the

termination of funding for NASA’s SETI program in 1993, she has served in a leadership role to secure private funding

to continue this exploratory science. Tarter was one of three Technology, Education, Design (TED) prizewinners and

named one of the Most Influential Women in Technology by Fast Company magazine in 2009. Many people are now

familiar with her work as portrayed by Jodie Foster in the movie Contact.

Tarter will explain how the SETI Institute is re-inventing the way it searches for extraterrestrial intelligence, fully utilizing

the latest technological enhancements. As she’ll explain, the institute is now building the setiQuest community and

intends to get the world involved in making its searches better. If we do it right, we just might change how we see

ourselves, and make our own world a better place.

Moderated by IDEO’s
Doug Solomon

Here's our PROGRAM for Thursday (see attached poster):

5:00 – A thought starter:
Doug Solomon is host and will introduce Jill as well as

provide a short “appetizer” on perhaps one of the last

taboos in our search for life on earth. Jill will talk about

SETI, what they have learned, and how they are building

their future.

5:15 – Jill Tarter
Jill will present SETI Turns 50-Five Decades in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.

5:50 – Discussion – Doug will moderate a discussion.

*The Know How Talks are usually held on Thursdays at 5:00,
in IDEO's Palo Alto cafe next to our lobby at 100 Forest.
Enter from the alley between Alma St and High St.

The talks are open to the public. No need to RSVP.

To join the announcement list, please add yourself to the IDEO Know How Talks group:
http://groups.google.com/group/IdeoKnowHowTalks

Rickson Sun

IDEO
100 Forest Avenue