ITPS Amusement INdustry News 2.21.11

Shawn Haas

Feb 21, 2011, 10:18:17 AM2/21/11
to itps...@googlegroups.com

If you want to translate into your language, or are having trouble viewing this page, click here.

Click for more information regarding Ripley's Franchises.

International Theme Park Services, Inc. ("ITPS") delivers the news you want regarding the amusement and leisure industry on a daily basis. Nowhere else can you find a greater compilation of news covering the amusement and leisure industry!

ITPS can Assist in Improving Business Operations

  • Our clients find comfort in our tried and tested methods of improving their business operations and presenting them with solutions.
  • We provide the highest quality advisory services and offer “alternatives” when it may appear there are none.
  • We have affiliated professionals in investment banking, financing, accounting, law, restructuring, and bankruptcy.

ITPS Developing New Parks Attractions

In its traditional business - ITPS has the experience to develop, operate, enhance, and more for your new or existing facility. From the initial feasibility study, to design, site selection, to the operational manuals and on-site training, product selection, management, facility audits, and more.

Our experience is extremely varied, and we utilize professionals with relevant expertise when necessary, but we always deliver value. We look forward to speaking with you about your individual needs and appreciate your referrals. Call 513-381-6131 for details.

Monday February 21, 2011

Palace Entertainment sells $430 mln notes
Palace Entertainment Holdings LLC/Corp on Friday sold $430 million of senior secured notes in the 144a private placement market, said IFR, a Thomson Reuters service.

Click for Article

New Attraction Opens At Legoland
CARLSBAD, Calif. -- Children of all ages will be able to build their own hero or villain characters at a new attraction that opened Thursday at Legoland California in Carlsbad. Athletes from the Special Olympics attended Thursday's grand opening of the Lego Hero Factory, located in the park's Imagination Zone.

Click for Article

What's Cheaper: Staying On or Off Disney Property? Crunching the Numbers
What's the price difference between top-of-the-line "Deluxe" Walt Disney World hotels compared with hotels of a similar star rating just outside the property in Orlando? You get some extra goodies when you stay on Disney property in a Disney hotel, so when you factor in the value of those goodies, how does the difference compute? We did the math.

Click for Article

Developers plan amusement park, retail center on Las Vegas Strip
Las Vegas, NV - An amusement park is in the works on a site where another family-friendly attraction failed at the south end of the Las Vegas Strip. Developers hope to build a recreational facility that would include amusement rides on a 9.6-acre site across from Mandalay Bay, according to plans filed with Clark County.

Click for Article

Lagoon adding beach-themed coaster as it turns 125
UT - Lagoon, the state’s signature amusement park in Davis County, turns 125 years old this year, but at least one of its offerings will be brand new. Bombora, a family-friendly roller coaster, is nearing completion, said Dick Andrew, the park’s executive vice president of marketing.

Click for Article

Planners OK new Dorney coaster
PA - South Whitehall planners are recommending township approval of Dorney Park's plans for a new roller coaster in 2012. There's still no name on the books for this mystery ride, which park representatives described as an "inverted boomerang" roller coaster Thursday at a Planning Commission meeting.

Click for Article

Battlestar Galactica reopens
SINGAPORE: The world's tallest duelling roller-coaster the Battlestar Galactica re-opened on Monday after eleven months of being grounded. The ride, which is the star attraction of Universal Studios Singapore, was forced to shut down just a week into the opening of the theme park.

Click for Article

Knott's event brings Civil War to life
BUENA PARK, CA – Thunder from the firing of an 1862 Confederate cannon set off car alarms all around. President Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address" was nearly drowned out by screams from the nearby GhostRider. And rain clouds threatened to wash out the entire weekend event.

Click for Article

Six Flags picks summer staff
AGAWAM, MA - Seventeen-year-old Ryan S. Patrick was a little nervous at Six Flags New England Friday because it was his first job interview. But the West Springfield High School senior was hired on the spot to run the Batman roller coaster for the amusement park's season that starts April 16.

Click for Article

Disney castle projections a pleasant surprise
FL - I admit it: I was feeling curmudgeonly. I just couldn't imagine I would enjoy the "Let the Memories Begin" castle projection show at Disney's Magic Kingdom. I mean, why would I want to look at other people's vacation photos? I wondered to myself. How exciting could they be?

Click for Article

AV Technician
NASCAR Hall of Fame

To function as a working AV technician for the purpose of operating, maintaining and servicing custom networked audio, video, and software based control systems installed at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. In addition to performing routine startups and operating hour walkthroughs, this position will execute preventative maintenance procedures, troubleshoot various aspects of the system and install equipment as needed.

Click for Details

Chuck E. Cheese's serves up more than expected
Four years. I made it almost four years, but I finally gave in and took my daughter to Chuck E. Cheese's last weekend. It's not that I have anything against the place, but I have a hard time getting excited to go to a dinner place with "cheese" in its name and a rat for a mascot. Plus, I knew there would be lots of kids hopped up on breadsticks, flashing lights and tokens — a lethal combination when it comes to 4-year-olds.

Click for Article

Sudbury couple open an indoor playground in Maynard
Maynard, MA, - With piles of snow mounting, it’s difficult, if not impossible, to use a playground, but Malcolm and Mandy Sim of Sudbury have found the answer. The couple created an alternative in Maynard: Jam Time, an indoor playground and creative space which caters to little ones but also appeals to parents, caregivers and friends.

Click for Article

Showboat Branson Belle re-opening put off until late March
Branson, MO - The Showboat Branson Belle will open March 25, a week later than originally planned, according to a press release from Herschend Family Enterprises. Officials said they have had to repair the ship's hull and replace the propulsion system after an incident in December when high winds and a problem with the propulsion system caused the boat to become lodged on a shallow point.

Click for Article

MURRIETA: Mulligan Family Fun Center plans water park
Murrieta, CA - Construction will begin in March on a project that could see about half of the 7-acre Mulligan Family Fun Center in Murrieta converted into a Western-themed water park, a company official said Friday.

Click for Article

3 Sage Hospitality-operated Ohio hotels sold
Three Ohio hotels managed by Denver's Sage Hospitality Resources and owned by a variety of investment groups have been sold at auction. Bidding for the Cherry Valley Lodge and CoCo Key Water Resort in Newark, Ohio, started at $2.9 million and ended with a $4.97 million winning bid. Read more: 3 Sage Hospitality-operated Ohio hotels sold | Denver Business Journal

Click for Article

Say goodbye to the water slides at Shadow Cliffs?
CA - The East Bay Regional Park District will hold a public meeting Wednesday on its plans to tear down the waterslides at Shadow Cliffs and create a more natural landscape in an area that long ago was a quarry surrounded by wetlands and wildlife habitat.

Click for Article

Smithsonian's National Zoo and DC Cupcakes Collaborate to Benefit the Animals
Washington, DC - The Smithsonian’s National Zoo will be featured on the season two premiere of DC Cupcakes, airing Feb. 25 at 10:30 p.m. on TLC. In honor of the Zoo’s episode, Georgetown Cupcake will sell a honey-banana-flavored cupcake named “Gone Bananas!” and donate the entire proceeds to benefit the Zoo’s conservation programs. The promotion will run from Feb. 18 to March 4 at both the Georgetown and Bethesda cupcake stores.

Click for Article

Irwin denies Australia Zoo facing closure
Australia - Australia Zoo on Queensland's Sunshine Coast has rejected media reports that it is in financial trouble and could be in danger of folding. Director Terri Irwin says more than 20 staff have been laid off this year due to poor weather, a drop in visitor numbers and the general financial downturn.

Click for Article

Lion Tug o' War Coming to Wildlife Safari
WINSTON, Ore. -- This spring, the safari is introducing a new game of tug o' war for guests but with a little different twist. On the other end of the rope is a 450 pound lion you'll have to beat. "I wasn't expecting him to be as strong as he was, especially as many people there were," said Megan Cavens, guest.

Click for Article

Santa Clara moving to protect redevelopment money for Niners stadium
CA - Fearful that it could lose up to $40 million in redevelopment funds already promised for a new 49ers football stadium, the Santa Clara City Council plans on Tuesday to send a message to Gov. Jerry Brown: Don't take away our stadium money.

Click for Article

Tourism industry woos workers
Prince Edward Island, Canada - Island students and possible future employees in the tourism industry crowded into the Tourism and Culinary Centre’s cafeteria Thursday for the Tourism Industry Association of P.E.I. (TIAPEI) job fair.

Click for Article

Orlando bumps Vegas from top of Orbitz spring break destination list
A more family friendly travel destination has bumped Las Vegas from the top spot of the hottest spring break vacation locations on one travel website. After holding steady at No. 1 for two years, Las Vegas moved to No. 2 as Orlando moved into lead spot on Orbitz.com’s list of the most popular destinations for the 2011 spring break season.

Click for Article

Travel news: Air travel expected to increase
Federal officials predict the number of passengers traveling on U.S. airlines should increase 3.5% this year. They also expect U.S. airlines will carry 1 billion passengers a year by 2021, two years earlier than previously forecast.

Click for Article

Landry's plans a turn-around for Trump Marina in Atlantic City, and points to its success at Las Vegas' Golden Nugget
LAS VEGAS — Sharks swim languidly in a 200,000-gallon aquarium overlooking a poolside bar called H20. The world’s largest gold nugget — weighing a whopping 61 pounds and 11 ounces — is on display in the hotel lobby.

Click for Article

Shawn M. Haas
Vice President of Retail, Operations and Information Technology
International Theme Park Services, Inc
2195 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45206
513-381-6131 Phone
513-381-2756 Fax

Email Shawn

For over 11 years, ITPS has been providing news updates to the industry. We continually strive to improve our offering and have made some changes to the news, beginning this week. We hope you find the changes beneficial and make it easier for you the reader to quickly find the news you want to read. Please email us for your feedback and suggestions. Thanks for reading!

To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, Change Email Address, delivery issues or to send attraction, facility press releases or job openings to the daily mailing, please email Shawn.

ITPS Amusement INdustry News now has advertising space available. ITPS News is the longest continuous email newsletter for the Leisure Industry. ITPS Amusement INdustry News is read by the Industry's leaders, decision makers, owners and senior management. Contact Shawn for advertising details and reasonable rates.

Visit news.interthemepark.com for past editions of the news are available on our website. Click here for previous daily news updates. To search the archives of ITPS Amusement News, click here.