ITPS Amusement INdustry News 2.24.11

Shawn Haas

Feb 24, 2011, 10:06:33 AM2/24/11
to itps...@googlegroups.com

If you want to translate into your language, or are having trouble viewing this page, click here.

Click for more information regarding Ripley's Franchises.

International Theme Park Services, Inc. ("ITPS") delivers the news you want regarding the amusement and leisure industry on a daily basis. Nowhere else can you find a greater compilation of news covering the amusement and leisure industry!

ITPS can Assist in Improving Business Operations

  • Our clients find comfort in our tried and tested methods of improving their business operations and presenting them with solutions.
  • We provide the highest quality advisory services and offer “alternatives” when it may appear there are none.
  • We have affiliated professionals in investment banking, financing, accounting, law, restructuring, and bankruptcy.

ITPS Developing New Parks Attractions

In its traditional business - ITPS has the experience to develop, operate, enhance, and more for your new or existing facility. From the initial feasibility study, to design, site selection, to the operational manuals and on-site training, product selection, management, facility audits, and more.

Our experience is extremely varied, and we utilize professionals with relevant expertise when necessary, but we always deliver value. We look forward to speaking with you about your individual needs and appreciate your referrals. Call 513-381-6131 for details.

Thursday February 24, 2011

Today is National Conductive Education Awareness Day!
Visit the Conductive Learning Center of Greater Cincinnati to find our more about Conductive Education.

SeaWorld prepares to put trainers back in water with killer whales
SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is preparing to put trainers back in the water with its killer whales for the first time since a trainer was battered and drowned by the company's largest orca one year ago today.

Click for Article

Cedar Fair’s Loan to Refinance Debt Said to Rise in First Trade
Cedar Fair LP’s $1.175 billion term loan to refinance debt rose in its initial trade, according to a person with knowledge of the transaction. The loan due December 2017, which was sold at par, began trading at 100.625 cents on the dollar, said the person who declined to be identified because the trades are private.

Click for Article

Legoland aims for one million visitors
NUSAJAYA: Legoland Development, the operator of Legoland Malaysia Theme Park being built here, expects to see one million visitors passing through its gates in the first year of operations.

Click for Article

You'd think CEO would know where Six Flags Over Texas is
Arlington Mayor Robert Cluck may have to go to bat for his city again. Just as he had to school television networks on the fact that Cowboys Stadium is in Arlington -- not Dallas -- here comes another offender. In a conference call this week with Wall Street analysts, Jim Reid-Anderson, Six Flags Entertainment Corp.'s new CEO, said the company's flagship park, Six Flags Over Texas -- the one that started it all -- is "in Dallas."

Click for Article

'Survivor Live' coming to Six Flags America
MD - “Survivor,” the long-running reality television show, is coming to Six Flags America as an interactive stage show. “Survivor Live” will debut at the amusement park May 27 and run through the summer. Performances will be held in the park’s Grand Theater and are included with admission.

Click for Article

SIX FLAGS TO PRESENT AT UPCOMING INVESTOR CONFERENCES
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas, Feb. 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX), the world's largest regional theme park company, announced today that it will be participating in the following upcoming investor conferences:

Click for Article

Alabama Adventure plans March 5 job fair
Alabama Adventure will host a job fair on March 5 for people seeking seasonal jobs. The event will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Alabama Adventure's main entrance, 4599 Alabama Adventure Parkway in Bessemer.

Click for Article

Theme parks all tuned up
FL - Musicians take the stage throughout the theme parks this weekend. The majority of these concerts sport a retro feel. Regular admission is required for all of these events:

Click for Article

Gold Reef City Wins Defamation Suit against TV Show Carte Blanche
The famous Gold Reef City theme and funfair park has won a defamation case against the Carte Blanche current affairs programme. City press reports that the Johannesburg High Court ruled yesterday that a report by the programme questioning safety at the venue was defamatory.

Click for Article

Acid mine water threatens Gold Reef City
South Africa - If left unchecked, the millions of litres of rapidly-rising acid mine water under Johannesburg will start flooding the lower levels of the Gold Reef City tourist mine early next year.

Click for Article

Worker charged after virus clubs Whac-a-Mole
HOLLY HILL, FL  -- An angry arcade-game programmer at the Holly Hill-based maker of Whac-a-Mole secretly sabotaged the company's games, writing viruses into hundreds of computer modules while he started a rival company to lure away dissatisfied customers, police said this week.

Click for Article

Construction under way for SkyWheel in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach, SC - With a thumbs up from one worker to another, cranes slowly took the construction of the SkyWheel in Myrtle Beach to a new level Wednesday: up. Cranes started hoisting the legs of the A-frames that will hold the Ferris wheel, pleasing a crowd of onlookers - many of whom came with cameras to capture what some said was a once-in-a-lifetime moment.

Click for Article

It's an odd lot at I-Drive Ripley's Believe It or Not
Orlando, FL - For nearly two decades, the Ripley's museum on International Drive and I have co-existed. But until recently, I had not darkened the door of the Odditorium — believe it or not. Sorry, I had to go there — to the slogan, not the attraction. That catch phrase is sprinkled throughout the building, mainly in the plaques that explain the exhibits. It's hokey and brilliant at the same time, somehow

Click for Article

Exhibit offers a peek into Henson's puppet world
PEORIA, IL  -- Some insiders know where all the skeletons are buried. But Jane Henson, a very special kind of insider, knows where all the Muppets are stored. Alas, says the widow of Muppet mastermind Jim Henson, some of the originals have deteriorated beyond repair, courtesy their perishable body types (foams, fabrics, etc.).

Click for Article

Great Wolf remains in talks to rework Kansas City water park loan
Great Wolf Resorts Inc. continues to work with a special servicer to modify the loan backing its Kansas City, Kan., water park. In October, the water park resort operator (Nasdaq: WOLF) acknowledged that it might have to surrender the property, as well as a property in Traverse City, Mich., if it couldn’t rework the $67 million loan. R

Click for Article

Magic Waters to get upgrades
CHERRY VALLEY, IL  — A few of Magic Waters’ oldest attractions will be revamped this year and a new “thrill ride” is planned for the 2012 season. The Rockford Park District will renovate two of its oldest tube slides this spring and revamp Splash Magic Island, the 50-foot-tall playground that includes a bucket that dumps 1,000 gallons of water onto swimmers below.

Click for Article

Water park on track for June completion
Canada - The Pemberton Community Centre will be a great hub of outdoor activity for local youth should the water park project remain on track for an early summer completion. The request for proposals (RFP) to construct the water park closes today (Thursday, Feb. 24) and Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) Chief Administrative Officer Paul Edgington said as of Monday (Feb. 21) that one interested contractor had registered with the SLRD and he was expecting its package to arrive before the deadline.

Click for Article

Rent-free coup for leisure operators at Cotswold Water Park
UK - Cash-strapped Cotswold Water Park Society confirmed this week that it could not afford to pay more than £400,000 demanded by a controversial break clause in the lease which sublets the former Keynes Country Park to Watermark.

Click for Article

AV Technician
NASCAR Hall of Fame

To function as a working AV technician for the purpose of operating, maintaining and servicing custom networked audio, video, and software based control systems installed at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. In addition to performing routine startups and operating hour walkthroughs, this position will execute preventative maintenance procedures, troubleshoot various aspects of the system and install equipment as needed.

Click for Details

KC Zoo considers blueprint for the future: Three zoos in one
MO - The sheer size of the Kansas City Zoo can be daunting, but what if it was promoted as three distinct mini-zoos for the price of one? A master plan for the next decade, outlined Wednesday for the Friends of the Zoo, proposes to rebrand the 202-acre animal park while adding more attractions and entertainment opportunities.

Click for Article

The Oregon Zoo's master plan includes big changes for elephants and other species
OR - In a broad-ranging interview this week, zoo director Kim Smith described the 20-year zoo master plan that she and colleagues are drafting. It includes nine projects and plenty of changes for elephants and other animals, but the plan is not cast in stone; she expects it will be completed by September. As word of updated exhibits and other projects sifts to the community, Smith said, she wanted to quell rumors and set the record straight about her vision for the future of one of Oregon's most beloved attractions.

Click for Article

Zoo Atlanta library program spreads statewide
GA - Call it a new way of checking out the animals. Zoo Atlanta and the Georgia Public Library Service have formed a partnership that will allow library card holders statewide free access to the zoo. The launch of the program was announced Wednesday on the steps of the state capitol.

Click for Article

Denver Zoo's Asian Tropics exhibit on track to open next year
CO - Four-year-old Aila Benavidez says her favorite thing about elephants are their trunks and big footprints. Aila and her mother, Kirsten Benavidez, who visit the Denver Zoo every few months, will see twice the number of the big animals when the zoo opens its Asian Tropics exhibit. "I applaud them," Kirsten Benavidez said. "I'm happy they look out for the best interest of animals."

Click for Article

Editorial - Aquarium provides model for how agencies can deal with budget cuts
NC - The do-it-yourself spirit has always been a valued American trait. As many of our treasured cultural institutions face a sharp budget knife, we have the opportunity to prove that, sometimes, money is not a barrier to doing what needs to be done.

Click for Article

Pirates Week at the Blue Planet Aquarium at Cheshire Oaks
UK - BLUE Planet Aquarium at Cheshire Oaks has been taken over by buccaneers, brigands and privateers this half term as part of their Pirates Week celebrations.

Click for Article

Preschool “Story Time” Continues at Atlantic City Aquarium through March
NJ - The Atlantic City Aquarium continues its popular preschool “Story Time on Tuesdays” in March with a new selection of fishy tales — and a special story in honor of Saint Patrick’s Day on March 15.

Click for Article

Disney Cruise Line lowers height requirement for Disney Dream’s AquaDuck
Beginning today, more kids will be able to ride the AquaDuck, the water coaster onboard Disney Cruise Line’s newest ship, the Disney Dream. MousePlanet.com first reported and a DCL spokesperson confirmed Wednesday that the minimum height requirement for kids will drop from 48 inches to 42 inches.

Click for Article

Legislators asked to maintain tourism funds
TX - About 140 San Antonio tourism officials traveled to Austin on Wednesday to urge lawmakers not to cut the state's tourism promotion budget, which is set to be cut by more than 80 percent in the 2012-13 proposed budget.

Click for Article

Santa Clara: Council votes unanimously to form stadium authority
CA - Santa Clara City Council members voted to create a stadium authority, vesting themselves with powers to make financial and legal decisions on the planned San Francisco 49ers football stadium near the Great America theme park.

Click for Article

Shawn M. Haas
Vice President of Retail, Operations and Information Technology
International Theme Park Services, Inc
2195 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45206
513-381-6131 Phone
513-381-2756 Fax

Email Shawn

For over 10 years, ITPS has been providing news updates to the industry. We continually strive to improve our offering and have made some changes to the news, beginning this week. We hope you find the changes beneficial and make it easier for you the reader to quickly find the news you want to read. Please email us for your feedback and suggestions. Thanks for reading!

To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, Change Email Address, delivery issues or to send attraction, facility press releases or job openings to the daily mailing, please email Shawn.

ITPS Amusement INdustry News now has advertising space available. ITPS News is the longest continuous email newsletter for the Leisure Industry. ITPS Amusement INdustry News is read by the Industry's leaders, decision makers, owners and senior management. Contact Shawn for advertising details and reasonable rates.

Visit news.interthemepark.com for past editions of the news are available on our website. Click here for previous daily news updates. To search the archives of ITPS Amusement News, click here.