ITPS Amusement INdustry News

Shawn Haas

Mar 2, 2011, 10:44:23 AM3/2/11
to itps...@googlegroups.com

If you want to translate into your language, or are having trouble viewing this page, click here.

Click for more information regarding Ripley's Franchises.

Welcome Chip Cleary

The IAAPA announced yesterday the appointment of James ”Chip” Cleary as the new president and CEO.

For 93 years the IAAPA has provided strong guidance and leadership to its growing number of members worldwide. Chip brings to the job a stellar background and knowledge of the business. There will be no learning curve for Chip. He understands our business, our industry, our member’s needs, and the challenges that lie ahead for our industry. He has just passed through the chairs, an invaluable experience that prepares him well for the job that he is about to undertake.

I remember during my term as Presidency,  appointing Chip to his first official role as “Sergeant Of Arms” for our annual convention and trade show, well over 20 years ago! It was obvious that Chip was “Good Timber” then, growing into a well-grounded, definite leader for our industry.

Our Industry was founded on the Principle of, We are an association of members serving members”. During the last decade, we have drifted somewhat from this Principle to more of a staff driven organization. Chip hopefully will bring us back to our roots. He understands membership; he is an astute businessperson with many successes under his belt. He understands making tough decisions when necessary, and he is an affable emissary to send forth to continue to grow the membership and the industry on a global basis….Chip we welcome you, salute you, and support you in your new role as President and CEO of our Industry.

Dennis Speigel, President - International Theme Park Services, Inc.

Wednesday March 2, 2011

James "Chip" Cleary

IAAPA President and CEO

James “Chip” Cleary Named IAAPA President and CEO
The International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) today announced James “Chip” Cleary has been named president and CEO. He will take over the top staff position at the worldwide trade association on April 4, 2011.

Click for Article

Cedar Fair 10K for the Year ended December 31, 2010

Click for PDF File

Tickets to Universal Studios likely to cost more
Singapore - Tickets for adults to Universal Studios now cost $66 on weekdays, and $72 on weekends and peak periods. Travel agents expect prices to rise by between $2 and $8 as a result of the theme park charging them more for tickets.

Click for Article

Playland Advisory Committee Introduced by Astorino
NY - Westchester County Executive Robert Astorino held a press conference in White Plains this morning to announce the Playland Citizens Committee. "Our hope is to have a consensus," said Astorino. "I hope we'll move forward in a deliberative, passionate, and open way."

Click for Article

Theme park interested in Spring Hill
TN - Spring Hill Mayor Michael Dinwiddie said a Florida-based company plans to build a theme park east of Interstate 65 that would bring hotels, restaurants and shopping centers — potentially thousands of jobs and at least several hundred million dollars in revenue to the city.

Click for Article

Drayton Manor unveil details about new Ben 10 ride
UK - Drayton Manor Theme Park, near Tamworth, Staffs has unveiled new details about the arrival of Europe’s first ever Ben 10 themed roller coaster, and the park will be inviting visitors to help Ben on his mission to defeat arch-enemy Vilgax.

Click for Article

Cedar Point to expand its nighttime music and light show this summer
OH - Cedar Point announced today that it will expand its nighttime music and light show this summer under a new sponsorship deal with Marathon Petroleum Co.

Click for Article

Disney parks temporarily close 8 attractions
CA - Disney parks are renovating eight attractions and other venues that are shut down for at least part of March. Many of the areas are already closed for refurbishments. Some are slated to reopen later this month in the two parks, Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.

Click for Article

Wisconsin Dells ride operator who dropped girl 100 feet to ground sentenced after plea
BARABOO — The former amusement park employee who dropped a 12-year-old girl 10 stories last summer from a thrill ride in Lake Delton has pleaded no contest to a lesser charge, ending the criminal case against him. Charles Carnell, 34, was convicted Thursday of felony second-degree reckless injury by Judge James Evenson in an agreement with the Sauk County District Attorney's office.

Click for Article

Siam Park City rebrands ahead of SET listing
Siam Park City, the operator of the Bangkok amusement park of that name, has changed the company name to City Walk to adjust its image from that of a family business to prepare for listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

Click for Article

Job fair Saturday at Knoebels
ELYSBURG - Knoebels Amusement Resort is scheduled to hold its seventh annual job fair Saturday, March 5. Job Fair hours are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Elysburg Fire Company Hall, East Mill Street, in Elysburg.

Click for Article

Pleasure Island: Construction work finally gives hope for Hyperion Wharf future
Last week while visiting Downtown Disney, I had a mood swing. For years now, while walking through the sparsely Pleasure Island segement of the retail area, I would get a bit depressed. But last week, I was uplifted simply by the sounds of heavy machinery behind construction walls along the lake.

Click for Article

SIX FLAGS NAMES FAMOUS FAMIGLIA OFFICIAL IN-PARK PIZZA PARTNER
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX), the world's largest regional theme park company, today announced an exclusive three-year partnership naming New York-based pizza chain, Famous Famiglia, "The Official Pizza of Six Flags." The multi-faceted deal will span all of Six Flags' US-based theme parks, encompassing over 45 food locations and a strong in-park marketing platform slated to begin March 2011.

Click for Article

Mall of America amusement park puts shopping in second place
MN - Entering Mall of America, my kids were unimpressed. It resembled Woodfield, and they silently feared we’d be spending the day shopping for clothes for mom.  The thought crossed my mind. Then we got to the center of the mall, and smiles spread across their faces. They grabbed each other’s arms and started jumping up and down.

Click for Article

Five ways visiting theme parks has changed: then and now
Theme parks have evolved greatly over the years. Even in my lifetime, the theme park experience has changed substantially due to advances in technology. Today's guests have the tools to enjoy their visits more than ever. In no particular order, here are five ways the theme park experience has changed in just the past two decades.

Click for Article

Theme park ticket bust: 5 arrested in Osceola
KISSIMMEE – Five workers face charges of illegally selling multi-day passes to Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando, according to the Osceola County Sheriff's Office.

Click for Article

Italy’s Ermes Technologies to Represent Sally Corporation
Jacksonville, FL: Sally Corporation has signed Ermes Technologies Themed Entertainment Division to represent the Jacksonville, Florida-based dark rides and animatronics manufacturer in Italy. “This is the first time Sally Corporation has had a representative dedicated specifically to the Italian market,” says Sally CEO John Wood. He notes that Ermes Technologies Themed Entertainment Division, with its strong background in high tech products and projects, has an established client base and excellent reputation both within the Italian themed entertainment industry and other markets. Headquartered in Rome, Ermes Technologies, a subsidiary of the Eurolink Systems Group, was founded in 2005. The company provides custom engineering services for the defense, transportation and aerospace industries. Its Themed Entertainment Division was established to bring some of that engineering expertise to the entertainment and attractions field, according to the company’s CEO, Enrico Petrucci, who adds, “We have long admired the animatronics and interactive dark rides produced by Sally Corporation, and we feel that together Ermes and Sally will have great success in this exciting industry.”  ---end story---

National Museum of China reopens to public
Visitors watch a painting in the National Museum of China in Beijing on March 1, 2011. After nearly four years of renovations, the museum reopened on Tuesday. The museum has been expanded to 191,900 square meters and now holds 49 exhibition rooms, reportedly making it the largest museum in the world.

Click for Article

Tropicana’s Mob Experience preview offers a variety of experiences
Las Vegas - The idea was not sketched on a cocktail napkin, exactly. It was a wax paper wrapper for a Subway sandwich, which Jay Bloom used as his first easel for what is, today, the $25 million, 26,000-square-foot Mob Experience at the Tropicana

Click for Article

Glass wall going up at Space Gallery in Seattle
SEATTLE — The Museum of Flight in Seattle says workers are erecting a 40-foot glass wall Wednesday at the Space Gallery, the building it hopes will house one of the retiring NASA space shuttles.

Click for Article

Zoo to hold world-class polar bear exhibit by 2013
Canada - Winnipeggers will be able to ride among polar bears in a tundra buggy and watch the iconic mammals swim underwater next to seals -- all at their local zoo. The province and the Assiniboine Park Conservancy unveiled details Tuesday of a new polar bear exhibition and learning centre that they hope will act as a tourist magnet and make Manitoba the polar bear capital of the world.

Click for Article

Local Zoo Opening Date Postponed Due to Storm Damage
LAKE NORMAN, NC - Zootastic Park experienced extensive damage to the roofs of two main buildings and the grounds throughout the zoo caused by Mondays severe weather.

Click for Article

Toledo Zoo may seek levy in Wood County
Toledo, OH (WTVG) -- The Toledo Zoo is considering putting a levy on the ballot for Wood County residents this fall. The Toledo Blade says the decision is based on lower attendance last year and an expected decline in revenue in the coming years.

Click for Article

National Aquarium has job openings across the board
MD - The National Aquarium in Baltimore is still on the hunt for a new executive director, with a search firm winnowing candidates. But in the meantime, there are some more job opportunities at the downtown attraction.

Click for Article

Cincinnati zoo giraffe pregnant
OH - A pregnant Maasai giraffe at the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is expected to give birth within the next two months. It will be the first giraffe born at the zoo in 26 years.

Click for Article

'Ides' stars visit aquarium, zoo
OH & KY - Ryan Gosling not only shares a name with an animal, he apparently has an affinity for nature's creatures. The actor, in town to film "The Ides of March" with George Clooney, made back-to-back visits to the aquarium and zoo Sunday and Monday, where he eyeballed a jellyfish, petted a sloth and seemingly bonded with the zebra-like okapi.

Click for Article

Triangle's Tourism Heavy Hitters Preview 2011 Season
VA - At an annual tourism forum Tuesday, the industry’s heavy-hitters shared their new marketing strategies and offered some sneak peeks at new events and attractions. The forum, hosted by the Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance, featured presentations by Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center, the Virginia Tourism Corporation (VTC), the Williamsburg Area Destination Marketing Committee (WADMC) and the Alliance.

Click for Article

Shawn M. Haas
Vice President of Retail, Operations and Information Technology
International Theme Park Services, Inc
2195 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45206
513-381-6131 Phone
513-381-2756 Fax

Email Shawn

For over 11 years, ITPS has been providing news updates to the industry. We continually strive to improve our offering and have made some changes to the news, beginning this week. We hope you find the changes beneficial and make it easier for you the reader to quickly find the news you want to read. Please email us for your feedback and suggestions. Thanks for reading!

To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, Change Email Address, delivery issues or to send attraction, facility press releases or job openings to the daily mailing, please email Shawn.

ITPS Amusement INdustry News now has advertising space available. ITPS News is the longest continuous email newsletter for the Leisure Industry. ITPS Amusement INdustry News is read by the Industry's leaders, decision makers, owners and senior management. Contact Shawn for advertising details and reasonable rates.

Visit news.interthemepark.com for past editions of the news are available on our website. Click here for previous daily news updates. To search the archives of ITPS Amusement News, click here.

Shawn Haas

Mar 4, 2011, 2:42:40 PM3/4/11
to itps...@googlegroups.com

Just a note to let all know that we have upgraded our distribution of the ITPS Amusement Industry News and we are now using MailChimp.  If you did not receive the news today, please check your spam folder and add to your approved list of good email.  The news today came from:

International Theme Park Services, Inc. [shawnhaas=interthem...@mcsv79.net] On Behalf Of International Theme Park Services, Inc. [shaw...@interthemepark.com]

We’re hoping that MailChimp will help in getting the news out to everyone especially those we have had delivery issues in the past.

Please let me know if you have any issues in receiving the news.  If you no longer wish to subscribe, please email me with the address you wish to have removed.

Thanks for reading!

Shawn

Shawn M. Haas

Vice President

Retail, Operations and Information Technology

International Theme Park Services, Inc.

shaw...@interthemepark.com

http://www.interthemepark.com

513-381-6131 Phone