ITPS Amusement INdustry News 3.1.11

Shawn Haas

Mar 1, 2011, 10:29:41 AM3/1/11
to itps...@googlegroups.com

If you want to translate into your language, or are having trouble viewing this page, click here.

Click for more information regarding Ripley's Franchises.

International Theme Park Services, Inc. ("ITPS") delivers the news you want regarding the amusement and leisure industry on a daily basis. Nowhere else can you find a greater compilation of news covering the amusement and leisure industry!

ITPS can Assist in Improving Business Operations

  • Our clients find comfort in our tried and tested methods of improving their business operations and presenting them with solutions.
  • We provide the highest quality advisory services and offer “alternatives” when it may appear there are none.
  • We have affiliated professionals in investment banking, financing, accounting, law, restructuring, and bankruptcy.

ITPS Developing New Parks Attractions

In its traditional business - ITPS has the experience to develop, operate, enhance, and more for your new or existing facility. From the initial feasibility study, to design, site selection, to the operational manuals and on-site training, product selection, management, facility audits, and more.

Our experience is extremely varied, and we utilize professionals with relevant expertise when necessary, but we always deliver value. We look forward to speaking with you about your individual needs and appreciate your referrals. Call 513-381-6131 for details.

ITPS Amusement INdustry News now available 8 days a week!

Tuesday March , 2011

ITPS selected by Reliable Power Alternatives Corporation to help Parks & Attractions Reduce Energy Price Risk
March 1, 2011 - International Theme Park Services, Inc. (ITPS) was recently selected by Reliable Power Alternatives Corporation (RPAC) to bring RPAC's services to the Parks & Attractions industry. RPAC provides a unique consulting service which reduces energy price risk. Clients have historically saved considerable monies on their purchase of electricity, crude oil, and natural gas. RPAC only gets compensated when a client accepts a price as a result of the RPAC managed RFP process.

Electric deregulation allows a business to choose the company that generates their supply of electricity. The customer's current electric utility company continues to deliver the power, which includes reading the meter, maintaining the poles and wires, and restoring power if there is an outage. Customers may now choose a company that supplies the electric power to the local utility. RPAC is licensed and operates in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington D.C., as well as in Canada.

"With energy costs a notable line-item on a park or attractions budget and costs rising considerably; we have found a unique service that has benefited other major users of power for over a decade. We're excited about the potential RPAC brings to our industry," said Dennis Speigel, President of ITPS.

For more information, please click here or contact: Dennis Speigel at 513-381-6131 or Howard Kahn at 516-621-5183.

Rye picks kids' brains about Playland's future
RYE, NY — The ideas were flying fast and furious through City Hall. Adding water-park rides, restaurants, merchandising and an aggressive advertising campaign to Playland Amusement Park were just a few of the suggestions pitched Monday afternoon.

Click for Article

Rakan Riang seeks more sponsorships for KidZania
PETALING JAYA: Rakan Riang Sdn Bhd, an 80:20 joint-venture company between Themed Parked Attractions and Resorts Sdn Bhd (TAR) and Boustead Curve Sdn Bhd hopes to seal more sponsorships for its RM50mil educational theme park, Kidzania Kuala Lumpur (KidZania) after sealing RM8mil worth of sponsorships yesterday, says TAR chief executive officer Tunku Datuk Ahmad Burhanuddin.

Click for Article

The absolutely indispensable guide to Disney World
If there's such a thing as an archetypal Disney fanatic, I'm pretty sure that I don't fit the mold. I don't own Mickey Mouse T-shirts or have a Disney license plate on my car. There are no movie posters, bobblehead dolls or other assorted Disneyana decorating my cubicle.

Click for Article

Video: Cheetah Hunt roller coaster trainers arrive at Busch Gardens in Tampa
FL - Busch Gardens in Tampa is making rapid progress on its Cheetah Hunt roller coaster, which is slated to officially open on May 27. Recently they released a video of track pieces being laid into place, and today they offered up a video of the coaster trains being unloaded from their containers. Now they just have to undergo some theming to add cheetah faces to their fronts and add other graphics, and they'll be ready to put on the track.

Click for Article

Men accused of stealing scrap metal from Kings Island
LEBANON, OH — Two local men are being sought for their alleged roles in stealing nearly $20,000 in scrap metal and wiring from Kings Island Amusement Park.

Click for Article

Six Flags Over Texas Celebrates 50 Years
“We’re very excited about our 50th anniversary,” said Steve Martindale, President of Six Flags Over Texas. “We’re going to have a year long celebration with nostalgic photographs around the park, special shows and special events culminating with the August 5th birthday party.”

Click for Article

Story, Burke plan to restore prominence to Frontier City, White Water
OK - After a five-year hiatus, Gary Story is back in the saddle as general manager of Frontier City — the property he and New York sidekick Kieran Burke once helped grow from a one-park entity with $4.5 million annual revenues to a 39-park global company, with $1.2 billion yearly sales and traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

Click for Article

Disneyland in Pictures: Then and Now
Although many of us picture Disneyland, Walt Disney's original dream park in Anaheim, Calif., as a frozen crystallization of childhood, it's actually an evolving playground. Although the basics of Disneyland are essentially what they were during its 1955 opening and the buildings years that came after, with the passing of time have come some dramatic shifts.

Click for Article

New restaurant, lounge set for key Disney building
CA - A building that will be the centerpiece of Disney California Adventure‘s new entrance is slated to hold a new restaurant and lounge, a Disney official said.

Click for Article

Busch Gardens announces summer line-up
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) - Busch Gardens has announced its 2011 events line-up. The amusement park has booked an array of events that will appeal to both the very young and the young at heart.

Click for Article

Sally Names New Customer Service Manager
Jacksonville, FL: Sally Corporation has promoted David Jones to the position of customer service manager. Jones, who joined the Jacksonville, Florida-based dark ride and animatronics company in 1980 as an electro-mechanical technician, has worked as chief animatronics programmer and audio technician until recently, participating in numerous installation projects worldwide. As customer service manager, Jones is responsible for providing customized manuals for all Sally products and fast turn-around on any repair or replacement needs. He is available to clients 24/7.  ---end story---

Sword swallower keeps crowd on edge
Canada - A large crowd of people gathered around Ripley's Believe It Or Not! museum Saturday afternoon to watch — many with their hands covering their mouths, some half covering their eyes — as a Toronto woman swallowed a 24-inch stainless-steel sword.

Click for Article

Richard T. Huston, Executive Vice President, Marketing and Entertainment of CEC Entertainment, Inc. Announces Intention to Retire
Richard T. Huston, CEC Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:CEC - News) Executive Vice President, Marketing and Entertainment, has announced his intention to retire from the Company later this year once a successor has been named and fully transitioned into the position. In conjunction with his retirement from the Company, Mr. Huston announced that he intends to serve out his current term on the Company’s Board of Directors and will not stand for reelection at the Company’s 2011 Annual Shareholders meeting.

Click for Article

Chuck E. Cheese’s Program Helps Parents Reward Kids for Their Accomplishments
Finishing homework, brushing teeth and being a great listener have never been more fun than with Chuck E. Cheese’s Rewards Calendars. To help parents encourage positive behavior from kids, family entertainment leader Chuck E. Cheese’s rewards children for completing their chores and having good behavior with 12 free, printable Rewards Calendars.

Click for Article

Discovery Place draws 530,000 visitors
Discovery Place in Charlotte drew more than 530,000 visitors last year, ranking it the fifth-most visited attraction in North Carolina. Discovery Place moved up from seventh place in 2009, when it had 454,053 visitors.

Click for Article

Marbles makes mark among top N.C. attractions
NC - Less than four years after rising from the ashes of the old Exploris Museum, the Marbles Kids Museum and IMax Theater in downtown Raleigh has soared into the top 10 among the most visited attractions in North Carolina.

Click for Article

Chuck E. Cheese’s Parent to Revamp Pizza
According to Nation's Restaurant News, "Executives at CEC Entertainment Inc., parent to the 553-unit Chuck E. Cheese’s chain, said Thursday that an improved pizza product and planned remodels should help it continue same-store sales increases into this year."

Click for Article

World's Hairiest Girl Celebrates Newfound Fame
Supatra Sasuphan doesn't mind being called the "World's Hairiest Girl." She and her family even sought the title from Guinness World Records. The 11-year-old from Bangkok is likely to become a future Guinness star. She has a condition known as hypertrichosis, otherwise known as "Werewolf Syndrome."

Click for Article

Fury over Schlitterbahn growth flows down Comal River
NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas -- From her wicker chair, Vicki Martin can hear the rush and gurgle of the emerald water as it roars by her elevated home on the hill. Since the 1960s she’s lived here in her parent’s house, a home on stilts with a bird’s eye view of the Comal River.

Click for Article

Permanent Bob amusement attraction to open in the US
NY - Splash Works themed 'spray and play' area to officially open in May. The first permanent Bob the Builder amusement attraction will open in the US in May.

Click for Article

Whitley Bay water park to be opened for the summer
UK - This is the plan for a new water park which will be built in Whitley Bay.
More than 500 children were asked by the council what facilities they would like to see built in the area.

Click for Article

Take a swim with the stingrays at Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle beach, SC - With its bevy of colorful fish and menacing looking sharks, Ripley's Aquarium is a Myrtle Beach attraction brimming with fun for the whole family. However, if you're looking for a one-of-a-kind experience, the aquarium's Swim with the Stingrays program is a great way to submerge yourself into a vivid, educational world.

Click for Article

Animal refuges rescue, protect - and face criticism
TAMPA - Florida has long been known as a tropical paradise desired by human retirees. But the state also is a place where exotic animals are spending their final days. But there's a big difference: The humans come here by choice. The animals have no choice.

Click for Article

Billings zoo could lose animals over finance woes
BILLINGS (AP) — ZooMontana faces a loss of accreditation that its director says could force it to give up its tigers, grizzly bears, red pandas and most other animals.

Click for Article

Zoo floodwaters claim service building, peregrine falcon
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland Metroparks Zoo officials said they would reopen Tuesday after 4-foot floodwaters destroyed an employee service building and killed a peregrine falcon Monday.

Click for Article

Potentially Offensive Travel Ads
Forget their pretty imagery and seductive phrasing. A travel ad has a single purpose: to get you to spend your money. Sometimes, in their desperation to drum up business or create a buzzy campaign, advertisers fumble and manage to tick off lots of customers.

Click for Article

Rio de Janeiro’s Transit Solution: Cable Cars Over the Favelas
The slums of Rio de Janeiro—the infamous favelas—pile onto and up and over the city’s iconic steep hillsides. Simply getting from point A to point B requires a sub-alphabet of zigzaggery up stairs, over switchbacks, and through alleyways that can be just a few feet wide. There’s nowhere for public transit to go. Nowhere, that is, but up.

Click for Article

Bahrain's tourism, financial sectors hit by unrest
Bahrain's tourism and financial sectors have been hit by the unrest that has gripped the country and it will take until at least the second half of 2011 for the kingdom to restore its reputation as a business-friendly hub.

Click for Article

Shawn M. Haas
Vice President of Retail, Operations and Information Technology
International Theme Park Services, Inc.
2195 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45206
513-381-6131 Phone
513-381-2756 Fax

Email Shawn

For over 11 years, ITPS has been providing news updates to the industry. We continually strive to improve our offering and have made some changes to the news, beginning this week. We hope you find the changes beneficial and make it easier for you the reader to quickly find the news you want to read. Please email us for your feedback and suggestions. Thanks for reading!

To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, Change Email Address, delivery issues or to send attraction, facility press releases or job openings to the daily mailing, please email Shawn.

ITPS Amusement INdustry News now has advertising space available. ITPS News is the longest continuous email newsletter for the Leisure Industry. ITPS Amusement INdustry News is read by the Industry's leaders, decision makers, owners and senior management. Contact Shawn for advertising details and reasonable rates.

Visit news.interthemepark.com for past editions of the news are available on our website. Click here for previous daily news updates. To search the archives of ITPS Amusement News, click here.