SIC 2023 Meeting - Call for Papers

ISHPSS

Mar 22, 2023, 6:25:32 AM3/22/23
to isr-h...@googlegroups.com

From: Histcurator <gl...@histcurator.com>

Dear Retians,

Please find below a last-minute call for papers for this year’s conference in Palermo. It would be great if some of you wanted to contribute despite the short notice.

All the best,
Sibylle, Rossella, Martina and Celine

Within the market: on the identity of dealers in scientific instruments and the nature of their commodities

The multiple ways in which scientific instruments have changed hands between the 18th and early 20th century were described in an almost similarly entitled compilation of essays published in 2016.[1] Picking up the theme, this panel wants to broaden our understanding of the individuals and goods involved by reverting to Pierre Bourdieu's notion of the “market of symbolic goods”.[2] Thus we mean to examine the diverse social and professional identities of the individuals who facilitated the production, sale and acquisition of scientific instruments. The panel seeks to elucidate the dynamics and reasons that compelled these people to act as agents or dealers as much as it will discuss the social, economic, scientific and/or symbolic dimension of the profits thus gained. Furthermore, we seek to scrutinize the role of instruments within this “market of symbolic goods”. Instruments facilitated relations between different disciplines, actors and institutions. In addition, they could be used to promote scientific careers as much as to substantiate claims for credibility and authority. Hence, can instruments be interpreted as agents or go-betweens in their own right?

We invite papers dealing with the outlined topic from a wide range of disciplines, following different approaches and focusing on any geographical and temporal localization. Please, send abstracts (max. 250 words) as well as biographical information (max. 50 words) by 29 March 2023 to: Sibylle Gluch (gl...@histcurator.com).

[1] A. D. Morrison-Low, S. J. Schechner, P. Brenni (eds.), How Scientific Instruments Have Changed Hands (Leiden, Boston: Brill, 2016) (=Scientific Instruments and Collections, v. 5).

[2] P. Bourdieu, “Le marché des biens symboliques”, L'Année sociologique, 22 (1971), 49-126.