Fwd: Your shaft seal

Nicholas Hirst

Jul 18, 2024, 2:48:22 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to Armando Hernandez, geo...@gmail.com, INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I told the co-president of the International Nonsuch Association, Bob Neches, about my problem and he sent me the email below and he has suggestions about parts and could possibly bring one with him when he comes to the Rendezvous. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to answer his questions but you would be.

Does this help?

Best,

Nick

Begin forwarded message:

From: "R Neches, INA Co-President" <i...@nonsuch.org>
Subject: Your shaft seal
Date: July 18, 2024 at 1:37:34 PM EDT
To: Nicholas Hirst <nichol...@me.com>

Re:
The motor on my boat is a Yanmar 3GM30F attached to a a Kanzai 0124 Model KM3V transmission. My survey says that it is a traditional stuffing box but mechanics in Dalhousie and at the RCYC say it is a dripless. I fear that it has been ‘fixed’/
Nick,

I'm guessing from your description that your engine has a PSS shaft seal, probably a Type A among the set shown in this link: https://www.shaftseal.com/pss-shaft-seals.html

This is what I have on my current boat and have had on several in the past.   I've been very happy with them.

These sell for about $365 USD plus tax and shipping on their website.  If this is what you have and need to replace, then there are two critical dimensions that need to be verified:
  • the diameter of your propellor shaft (probably 1", but need to be sure)
  • the diameter of your "shaft log" (this is the round fiberglass extension of the hull interior, though which your prop shaft passes to the outside of the boat, probably 1.75" but need to be sure)

For this part of the problem, you can probably ask the mechanic what the product and part # is for the dripless stuffing box that you have.

The thing I don't yet understand is what's needed regarding the "fiberglass sleeve" that you mentioned.    It's possible to order fiberglass tubes of any length, interior diameter, and exterior diameter that you need.  But, I need more information about what those specs are before I can try to find one for you.  And, I'm a little worried about why they say you need one because the only scenarios I'm familiar with which would require one involve large amounts of work.

--
-- Bob
   Writing for Robert Neches and Phil LeVine

Christian Pastore

Jul 18, 2024, 3:49:42 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com, Armando Hernandez, geo...@gmail.com
I have no particular knowledge of stuffing boxes on Nonsuches but could "fiberglass sleeve" be another way of saying "shaft log"?

Brian M. Godfrey

Jul 18, 2024, 4:37:54 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
   I wondered about that, too.  If it is the shaft log, then you have the same problem whether you use a dripless seal or a stuffing box.  And it probably would entail a lot of yard work to fix.  Perhaps the yard can give you a better explanation of the problem?

--Brian M. Godfrey
  br...@wildbirdshop.com

329a...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2024, 7:56:27 PM (3 days ago) Jul 18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
For what it’s worth, I’ve had an adjustable stuffing box on Aloki for 38 yrs now with no issue. I changed the packing twice in this years. Beginning of the year and after launch I tie the boat to the dock , put in gear at various rpm’s and adjust so that when turning there is a drip say every 5 seconds. At rest it slows and stops after about 15 min.
Issue with enclosed shaft seal as I understand it is when it fails, it’s 100% and I believe u must haul the boat to repair or swap out.
Just my thoughts. Cheers, Gary /Aloki / oyster Bay NY