More storm mooring attachment points

Sea Cents

Jul 16, 2024, 8:38:37 PM (5 days ago) Jul 16
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Dear Nonsuchers,

Anyone ever installed additional transom pad eyes or towing loops? I am constantly securing my Nonsuch 33 for storms and hurricanes and go with the philosophy of every rope I own and finally my shoe laces! My problem is attachment points for a storm that could swing 360 degrees. I thought i would install some large U-bolt type towing eyes on either side of the transom for some attachment points that were really easy with shackles. When i climbed under to inspect i was quite suprised to see sun shine coming through the transom! Apparently its quite thin. With proper load displacement (large backing plates) it might be okay. Just wanted to connect with collective expertise in this phenomenal group! Should i risk pulling of the transom?

Your thoughts and recommendations much appreciated.

Tim
Mistoffelees
Nonsuch 33 #32
Cayman Islands

Joe Valinoti

Jul 17, 2024, 8:34:13 AM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
I think the problem is in the direction of pull.  You’d have to have rather large backing plates to absorb the load.  You might be better off increasing the size of the deck cleats.  Fortunately Nonsuches have a wonderful device called a “Sampson Post” forward.
Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

Bob Neches (Me Gusta, Nonsuch 26U #233)

Jul 17, 2024, 2:14:02 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
FWIW, Practical Sailor recently had an article in which they suggested using dyneema loops with chafe guards on the deck cleats to create room for more docklines than could attach to the cleats themselves.  Then attach the extra lines to those loops.

Have not tested this myself.

-- Bob
   Me Gusta
   Nonsuch e26U #233
   Looking forward to seeing folks in Toronto:
        https://nonsuch.org/2024-INA-International-Rendezvous-Status

Joe Valinoti

Jul 17, 2024, 4:02:40 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a lot more time to tie up when you might be busy docking.  Also, my concern is tying a knot that will come apart easily when undocking.  Of course, I am a terrible knot tier!!

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

Sea Cents

Jul 17, 2024, 5:24:06 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Yep! Could do with more of them.

Tim Austin
Mistoffelees NS33 #32
Cayman Islands

Joe Valinoti

Jul 17, 2024, 8:40:43 PM (4 days ago) Jul 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Must take a good part of your playtime to get underway, Sea Cents.  This be me -
IMG_4170.jpeg
IMG_4178.jpg
NS30U Snubber 001.JPG
NS30U Snubber002.JPG