Boom Weight for a 26 and a 30

Randy Gadikian

Aug 10, 2023, 4:08:27 PM8/10/23
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I will be storing the boom from my 26C on board this winter and I hope to do the same on a friends 30U.    Can anyone tell me how much the boom weighs on these boats?  I'm thinking between 200 and 300 pounds, but I really don't know.

Thanks in advance.

Randy Gadikian
Phoenix
NS 26C #37
Buffalo, NY

Ward Woodruff

Aug 10, 2023, 7:04:45 PM8/10/23
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
I believe a 33 Wishbone is fabricated from 4” schedule 40 aluminum pipe. The two halves total about 58’ of pipe.  The weight per foot is 3.730 pounds.  Add 20 pounds for the end castings and you get around 215 pounds.

You can do a similar exercise on the other size boats.

Ward Woodruff

On Aug 10, 2023, at 4:08 PM, Randy Gadikian <ra...@gadikian.com> wrote:

I will be storing the boom from my 26C on board this winter and I hope to do the same on a friends 30U.    Can anyone tell me how much the boom weighs on these boats?  I'm thinking between 200 and 300 pounds, but I really don't know.

Randy Gadikian

Aug 10, 2023, 8:42:33 PM8/10/23
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Thank you Ward.  That's great information.

Randy

ken...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2023, 4:57:30 AM8/11/23
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Randy, I'm pretty sure the 26C boom is quite a bit less than 200 lbs.  John Newell mentioned 140# in his boom change articles.  I'm not sure where he got that but it sounds about right from practical experience. I was just lifting one the other day with one other guy and carried it 50' and it was heavy but not that bad.  I'm guessing my end was 60 - 70lbs..  Not very precise but I would have had  trouble lifting more than 70 lbs.

Ken Julian
"Blue Note" NS26C#9
Fredericton, NB

Ernie Abugov N22 - #56 "Moustaches" Toronto

Aug 11, 2023, 8:32:26 AM8/11/23
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Randy -

The boom on my NS22 is a very easy carry for two old farts (pardon me) with bad backs. I don't think my boom weighs more than 80 lbs (but it's a 22, not a 26).

Ernie A. in Toronto

newelljc9

Aug 11, 2023, 12:50:36 PM8/11/23
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
My wishbone with a Cressman s/s boom extension weighed 130 lbs. I estimate a standard 26 wishboom would weigh closer to 100 lbs. My 15.5' x 4" round boom weighs 30 lbs. Hope this helps you estimate your weights Randy.
John Newell
Mascouche 26C #1
Toronto

Thor (26C Brentwood Bay BC)

Aug 11, 2023, 6:24:17 PM8/11/23
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
A 26 is more awkward than heavy. A two person job