Lazarette vent covers

John Waldhausen

Aug 31, 2018, 10:07:09 PM8/31/18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I have a Nonsuch 36 and the port lazarette vent cover was lost. It is looks like a low profile Dorade Vent cover and snaps on to a flange that is screwed to the boat. Does anyone know where a replacement might be found? My local supplier Fischeries Supply doesn’t have anything similar.

Mike Quill

Sep 1, 2018, 1:31:47 PM9/1/18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Hi John
Please send me a picture. If they are what I believe they are I might have stock. Please add your phone number.
Cheers
Mike Quill

John Waldhausen

Sep 2, 2018, 10:12:12 PM9/2/18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Mike I forgot to take a photo at the boat today but will get one tomorrow. Thank you for responding.

John Waldhausen

Jim K

Sep 3, 2018, 4:43:20 PM9/3/18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
John,

I added one made by Beckson to my N30U as an outside air intake for my Wallas furnace and it was an exact match.
Check out the attached link to Fisheries Supply in Seattle.
I can't remember if it was the 3" or 4" model though.

Cheers,

Jim Krzyzewski
Toyger N30U #422
Port Ludlow WA
IMG_3368.jpg

Mark Powers

Sep 3, 2018, 8:51:33 PM9/3/18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
John,
 On La Reina I changed out the plastic clamshell vents for stainless steel. They cost about the same and weighed about the same. The edges are sharp and can bit your ankles but they are nice and bright. I have attached a photo. There are vent in the photo is for the engine air intake. There are two matching covers on the port side for the bilge fan exhaust and the Espar heater air intake.

For more information then you wanted: In addition to the vent covers you can see the Murray Cressman boom extension. It is hard to see in the photos but I have also added the Murray Cressman 3 eye bails for the reef lines and topping lift. Mike Quill sells a similar product that looks very nice. I have changed the blocks to Garhauer. The standing block for the main sheet has been moved off the coaming down to the rear deck and turns at the stern chock. I had to add a wooden pad under the mainsheet whinch to make the sheet run properly and not rub on the eyebrow. The shore power is a Smart Plug and the dorade air intake has also been changed to a nice stainless steel scope. It weighs more and cost more then the plastic one it replaced. The fender covers are the legs from a pair of fleece jogging pants. Keeping with the cat theme, the symbol on the covers is a Puma. Oh yes, you can also see the dodger and enclosure with the nice stainless grab bars. I came up with the initial design of the enclosure and then worked closely with the canvas maker to come up with the final design. I took him out sailing on two occasions so he could see how the mainsheet ran. Overall I am happy with the final product but would make a couple of changes if I had to do it again. That is my bragging for the day.

Mark Powers
LA Reina 26C
Vancouver, B.C.

DSCN1639.JPG

ernest...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2018, 10:54:07 PM9/3/18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Mmmmm ......   good looking little ship. AWFUL nice dodger and enclosure. I'm gonna replace mine and this gives me ideas.

Ernie A. in Toronto

John Waldhausen

Sep 3, 2018, 11:52:03 PM9/3/18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Mark
That’s a pretty boat. I’m interested in how high your boom rides. I have a dodger but my wife wants an extended cover such as yours. I understand how with the topping lift I could get the boom that high but when sailing and the topping lift is released so the sail carries the weight, my boom is no where near that high. I think it would shear off the aft part of your enclosure.

John Waldhausen
Bainbridge Island
Northern Star

John Waldhausen

Sep 3, 2018, 11:54:04 PM9/3/18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jim Thank you. Mike Quill also has a possible replacement. This one looks like what Im missing

John Waldhausen