Winter Storage Recommendations RI, CT, MA

Rebecca Raymond

Jul 16, 2024, 11:56:49 AM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
We have our NS 30U, Mariposa, at Dutch Harbor, on the west side of Conanicut Island (Jamestown) Rhode Island. It is our first season  with her.
We are looking for a winter storage location in either Rhode Island, Connecticut, or Massachusetts which is able to step down the mast and where we are allowed to work on the boat as needed.
We appreciate hearing back with your recommendations.

Becky Raymond and Mike Stangl
Mariposa
NS 30U #272
Dutch Harbor, RI

Bob Gehrman

Jul 16, 2024, 12:07:01 PM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Becky - I'm in Safe Harbor Cowesett, South Yard. I worked on my boat for 16 months there and also had the yard do some serious work (dropped the keel, rebed & rebolted, scraped the gelcoat off the hull & re-faired, new prop shaft & motor mounts). They do pack them in tight but power is available over the winter. Also had my mast out to re-fit all the lights and wiring. Roland Sylvia is the Service Manager there, and Mary Hunt is the GM. The facilities are nice also.

Bob Gehrman
NS36 #52 "Fortunate"
Greenwich Bay, RI

Ward Woodruff

Jul 16, 2024, 12:18:26 PM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Midway Marina in Haddam, CT, 15 miles north of the mouth of the CT River has lots of experience storing Nonsuches and have unstepped and stepped my mast for the last 6 winters. You can work on your boat as you please or hire specific tasks.  I believe you will find the costs quite competitive.

Obviously, a long sail from Dutch Harbor and a long drive for work sessions.

Ward Woodruff
N33 #8 Margery
Niantic Bay, CT

BRIAN CAYER

Jul 16, 2024, 1:23:01 PM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Midway was also my thought however the East Haddam swing bridge is still under repair and kind of a pain to get thru. Safe Harbor Deep RI is where my 30U was this past winter. They step masts and are a do it yourself yard. They are also below the bridge.

Brian Cayer
Spirit~Wind
N30U 419
Westbrook, Ct

On Jul 16, 2024, at 12:18 PM, Ward Woodruff <wwood...@gmail.com> wrote:

Midway Marina in Haddam, CT, 15 miles north of the mouth of the CT River has lots of experience storing Nonsuches and have unstepped and stepped my mast for the last 6 winters. You can work on your boat as you please or hire specific tasks.  I believe you will find the costs quite competitive.

Robert Taylor

Jul 17, 2024, 8:28:31 AM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Hi Becky & Mike,
If you want to stay in Jamestown, go talk with Clarks Boatyard on the Newport side and speak with Jim or Sara.  It's a smaller yard but I winter stored my 30U there for 2 years and their crane is capable of unstepping your mast.  They do allow you to work on your boat as you see fit.  There were 3 other Nonsuches at the yard a year or two ago.

I've also winter stored last season at Greenwich Cove Marina and previously at Safe Harbor NEB in Portsmouth. I'd recommend NEB over GCM if your punch list included more
work to be done by the yard.  The other Safe Harbor marinas at Cowesett or Apponaug are also adequate for your needs.

Best,
Robert Taylor
1989 NS 30U  "Trim"
Greenwich Cove Marina

Rebecca Raymond

Jul 19, 2024, 1:30:03 AM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone who responded. These are some great suggestions!
We are following up with the boat yards to get prices.

Becky and Mike
Mariposa
NS 30U #272
Dutch Harbor, RI