Engine Alarm?

Randy Gadikian

Jul 10, 2024, 10:48:14 AM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
While redoing my electrical panel I came across a loose wire that appears goes to an alarm located in the electrical box.  If the wire is connected the alarm sounds when the engine is running.

The engine runs just fine, oil pressure is good, around 50 pounds and the engine does not overheat.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Randy Gadikian
Phoenix Rising
Nonsuch 26C #37
Buffalo, NY

Joe Valinoti

Jul 10, 2024, 10:55:40 AM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Randy:  Does the alarm sound with the key on but engine not running??  If it doesn’t, get it fixed fast.  Operating an engine without an alarm is not good.  I delivered a boat once that was not equipped with one.  When it lost oil pressure we didn’t know until it was too late.  Owner had to replace the engine. That was not a good phone call I had to make.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

Don Crossley

Jul 10, 2024, 1:06:26 PM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

My alarm is mounted near the engine next to the companionway. It has three wires attached to it directly from the engine. One wire is for oil pressure another for water temperature, the third simply connects the electrical circuit. When turning the engine key on, but before starting the engine, the alarm sounds because there's no oil pressure yet. It also tells you that the alarm is working.

I downloaded Westerbeke engine wiring diagram online. It shows the alarm and colour coded wires that attach to it. When I first got my boat the alarm didn't work because someone had attached the wires incorrectly to the three terminals on the alarm.

Don