Advice on Hell's Gate and the New Jersey coast to Annapolis

Marv White

Jul 20, 2024, 6:56:20 PM (2 days ago) Jul 20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Hi guys, I don't post much, but I purchased a new to me Nonsuch 30 Ultra last year. I am moving the boat from Old Lyme, CT, to Annapolis, MD. Unfortunately, my crew of 2 both had personal emergencies and were not able to assist. I decided to go alone and made it to Safe Harbor Capri, headed for Hells Gate and next to Atlantic City. I am sharing my circumstance as a request for any tips or tricks for navigating the New Jersey coast. While it's last minute, it's also an invitation for anyone who may want to share part of the trip or just a few miles. No pressure on anyone, I just thought I would share with the Nonsuch Community that's already been very kind to me. I hope to give back what has already been given to me. And a special shout out to Bob Gehrman, who gave me sail time on his Nonsuch 30.

Marv
Annapolis MD
Knotorius
Nonsuch 30 Ultra #294

Bruce Clark

Jul 20, 2024, 7:22:11 PM (2 days ago) Jul 20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Just a couple of thoughts.

Enter the East River at slack tide just before the ebb starts.  It is quite a nice trip but lots of traffic at times.

You can stop in Jersey City. Liberty Landing Marina behind Ellis Island. Is lovely but pricey. You can anchor in the little bay just east of the State of Liberty. Lots and lots of traffic between Manhattan and New Jersey. You avoid them, not the other way around.

You can also anchor at Atlantic Highlands near the exit to the ocean at Sandy Hook. Also a good marina. Here. You wait here until you have a decent forecast for going down the Jersey Shore. Last time we did it we waited for four days so be patient.

Only really reliable place on he Shore is Attlantic City. If you are singlehanded it is an obvious place to stop. If you have a crew and agreeable conditions an overnight will take you to Cape May. Here there is a canal that links you to Delaware Bay. Bridge is 55’ which might be a problem for a N30 with VHF antenna. Not sure what he tidal range is. The canal avoids the often uncomfortable conditions going outside into DB. You can anchor at Cape May opposite the Coast Guard station or go to a marina.

Delaware Bay is best done with a flood tide. Its is quite shallow outside the ship channel and often has squarish waves - not dangerous, just uncomfortable. Once you get to the CD canal you are almost home. You can stop in Chesapeake City, depends on when it was last dredged.

BRIAN CAYER

Jul 20, 2024, 10:50:35 PM (2 days ago) Jul 20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

Marv,

This may help. It’s from the previous owner of the 36’ Nighthawk #2  Crackerjack berthed in Baltimore when I fancied buying her. Just reverse direction.

“Yes – I sailed it.

I have done the run from Groton/Newport five times (3 south, 2 north).

It’s pretty straightforward:

  • Sail up the Chesapeake to the C&D Canal (about 40 nm)
  • Through the C&D to the Delaware Bay (about 18 nm)
  • Down the Delaware bay to Cape Henlopen, around Cape May (about 80 nm)
  • Up the Jersey coast to Sandy Hook (the longest, most boring, and most exposed leg – about 110 miles or so)
  • NY harbor, up the East River, around Hell’s Gate into the LI Sound (about 20 nm)
  • Long Island Sound to Groton – (about 80 nm)

About 4-5 days of 16 hour runs.

I’ve always done the Jersey Coast in one bite – but that is round the clock.  It’s long.  You can put in at Barnegat Bay or Atlantic City for the night w/o a problem if  you want to break it up.  You have to be careful at Barnegat – it is shallow.  The new chartplotter should keep you out of trouble.”

Credit Steve Gross

Brian Cayer

Spirit~Wind

N30U 419

Westbrook Ct

On Jul 20, 2024, at 7:22 PM, Bruce Clark <bwc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just a couple of thoughts.

Joe Valinoti

Jul 21, 2024, 9:01:35 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 21
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Marv:  I’ve taken my 30 through the Cape May canal at least  a half dozen times.  Once, around high tide, my VHF did touch the bridge.  I’ve been up and down the Delaware with and against the current.  One is just slower and, depending on wind direction bumpier.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

Bob Neches (Me Gusta, Nonsuch 26U #233)

Jul 21, 2024, 2:20:35 PM (17 hours ago) Jul 21
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
If passing under bridges is involved, not that a Nonsuch 30 mast's height above the waterline is spec'ed to be 52' 6", not counting additional height from antennae or other fittings.

-- Bob
   Me Gusta
   Nonsuch e26U #233
   Looking forward to seeing folks in Toronto:
        https://nonsuch.org/2024-INA-International-Rendezvous-Status