Rendezvous Logistics Questions

Rebecca Raymond

Jul 19, 2024, 12:13:04 PM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
We received the welcome/registration for next week's Rendezvous in Toronto. We are very much looking forward to it. We have a few logistical questions.

What is the street address of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club where events will take place? The link provided is not working (maybe due to the Microsoft glitch)

Will there be a shuttle or carpool from the Westin hotel, or do we drive personal cars? Can the yacht clubs be accessed with public transportation? We have requested parking at the RCYC but don’t know if we can keep our car there overnight or need to go back and forth from the hotel. Hotel parking is $55/day per the website.

We are considering taking the train from Albany NY instead of driving.

We do not see a “firm schedule” attachment in the email sent. We followed the link provided but it leads to the “preliminary schedule”. Please advise.

Are all meals and events listed on the schedule included with the registration fee?

Thanks and see you soon,

 Becky Raymond and Mike Stangl

Mariposa NS 30U  272, Dutch Harbor, RI

Bob Neches (Me Gusta, Nonsuch 26U #233)

Jul 21, 2024, 5:39:08 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 21
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Information for those driving / flying to the Rendezvous in case its of use...

The RCYC runs launches from their shoreside facility:
THE STREET ADDRESS FOR THE CITY STATION FROM WHERE THE LAUNCHES LEAVE IS 150 CHERRY STREET, TORONTO ONTARIO M5A 3L1.
This boat transportation is less conveniently located, but free.  Launches leave every 30 minutes at the quarter after and quarter to the hour.  I'm not clear about parking there, but have the impression they suggest getting there by cab or Uber.   They are warning that a partial bridge closure may make this option undesirable due to traffic delays, unfortunately.

For those who are trying to drive directly from the mainland to the RCYC Island facility, it looks theoretically possible.  I'm under the impression you'd have to drive around Billy Bishop airport and then almost the full length of the island.  If this doesn't put you off, the lat-lon on the RCYC website is 43°37'26.5"N 79°22'13.6"W.  Put that into your GPS (but don't blame me for how it works out, I'm just a guy in Los Angeles, California).

WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE EASIEST WAY TO GET THERE: RCYC will be running their pontoon boat, the Zephyr, from a location close to T Dot Water Taxi at 1 Queens Quay E -- for free, with an 8:45 am departures in the mornings and for returns scheduled as needed.  In addition, there are two water taxi services which will go to RCYC from near the Westin Harbour Castle hotel.  T Dot Water Taxi has additional scheduled daily runs to and from the RCYC that are free (see schedule below).  Anytime outside those scheduled runs will cost you, but you can go at any time -- T Dot told me, "simply show up at our dock and ask to be taken to RCYC."   They seem to charge about $12.50-15.00 CAD.

Water Transport near Westin Harbour Castle.png

Here's a list supplied by T Dot of the scheduled runs by the RCYC boat and their own.  Note again that these no-cost scheduled runs are NOT the only times available -- T Dot says they will go to RCYC at any other time upon request, and the RCYC will be scheduling return pontoon trips from the island as needed.
TDOT Water Taxi Schedule.png

Finally, if you're trying to get to the water taxis using public transportation, this picture shows three transit stops near the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel at 1 Harbour Square.   Note that right next to T Dot Water Taxi, the map shows a large structure called SP+ Parking.   They seem to be a big parking lot operator, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get more information, so I don't know whether or not this is a viable option.  I've been told by locals that, "All parking downtown is a typical major city prices."  That said, the Westin appears to want your firstborn child in return for parking there, so other nearby lots might be worth looking into.  Maybe they only want an arm and a leg.  Nearest transit stops are Queens Quay West at Bay St East Side and Queens Quay East at Yonge St.

Westin Harbour Castle and Vicinity.png

See you there!

-- Bob
   Me Gusta
   Nonsuch e26U #233
   Looking forward to seeing folks in Toronto:
        https://nonsuch.org/2024-INA-International-Rendezvous-Status

Ernie Abugov P/O NS22 o/b #56 "Moustaches"

Jul 21, 2024, 7:44:54 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 21
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Hi Bob -

I (who have lived in Toronto for decades) will attest to the fact that there is no way for us ordinary mortals to drive to RCYC on the island. Possibly, if we were driving ambulances, fire trucks or food supply trucks, we could take  a special ferry that crosses from the city to the airport (crossing the Western Gap - about a one minute trip) to get to the island and then we could cruise around the island.

Jokes (and jokers) aside, no private vehicles are permitted on any road on any of the islands.

The broken bridge is a serious impediment to 150 Cherry St. Quite possibly, it'll be fixed "enough" to allow traffic to the RCYC city dock. Right now, the only way is a go-around that takes you east to Leslie St., South on Leslie to Unwin ave. (right at the end of Leslie). Take Unwin West (almost all the way) to Cherry St. and then a right on Cherry to the RCYC yard. If the bridge was OK, it would be a quick run (South) from Lakeshore Blvd straight to the yard.

Cheers - see ya soon.

Ernie A. in Toronto

Bob Neches (Me Gusta, Nonsuch 26U #233)