Do I have the right to prohibit the use of my algorithm for further compression of Hutter Prize?

Emil Enchev

Dec 29, 2023, 9:27:57 AM12/29/23
to Hutter Prize
To tell you the truth, I am in a dilemma.  I can publish a new compression algorithm, even allowing its use freely in other programs...  but I want to ban its use in Hutter Prize,  because I think it's a bit unfair for its creator to take as much as someone else who tweaked it a bit and use it again in Hutter Prize.

I'll say it straight, I already have an algorithm that can compresses Hutter Prize over 50%,  and I don't want some parasite to just start bleeding percent by percent after that using my algorithm.

How are we going to solve this problem?  Because here we are talking about an algorithm that compresses random datа,  and I have no idea what its theoretical limit is at the moment.

What can you suggest in this case?

James Bowery

Dec 29, 2023, 9:37:36 AM12/29/23
to Hutter Prize
On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 8:27:57 AM UTC-6 madm...@gmail.com wrote:
To tell you the truth, I am in a dilemma.  I can publish a new compression algorithm, even allowing its use freely in other programs...  but I want to ban its use in Hutter Prize,  because I think it's a bit unfair for its creator to take as much as someone else who tweaked it a bit and use it again in Hutter Prize.

From the Hutter Prize FAQ:

Any of the Open Source Initiative (OSI)-approved licenses is acceptable. In case of doubt, consider choosing a license as permissive as you feel comfortable with. We prefer Unlicense over MIT over Apache over Mozilla over GNU, but all of them are acceptable. Simply put a statement such as "This Code is licensed under UNLICENSE http://unlicense.org" somewhere in your code.

To prevent your algorithm from being considered a valid part of a Hutter Prize submission, avoid releasing it under an OSI-approved license.