Using Python

Manuel Ortega

Jul 15, 2021, 3:51:20 PMJul 15
to Hutter Prize
If I submit code using python and use the os module to call other binaries that are included in most linux distributions (xxd or sed for example). Do those binaries count against the size limits?

James Bowery

Jul 15, 2021, 4:03:05 PMJul 15
to Hutter Prize
Yes.

Think about the OS as providing an extension of the machine's instruction set in the form of standard library calls that are serviced within the OS itself.  At present these are the kind of "instructions" that perform only basic I/O functions to the file system and memory management.  There are difference between Windows and Linux derived operating systems but they aren't so great as to have a significant impact on an acceptable submission for the Hutter Prize.