Are executable packers against the spirit of the contest?

Dave Mullen

Mar 20, 2024, 11:48:16 AMMar 20
to Hutter Prize
I have seen on recent submissions that the decompression executable is packed with UPX, reducing it's size from 400k to about 150k inside the "archive9.exe" file.

Isn't that in violation of this rule?

Programs must run without input from other sources (files, network, dictionaries, etc.) under Windows or Linux without additional installations.

Surely the UPX packer itself is an "additional installation"?

Dave Mullen

Mar 20, 2024, 3:19:07 PMMar 20
to Hutter Prize
And I suppose depending on the answer to the above, is there logically anything to stop us also packing the compressor executable also using UPX?

Matt Mahoney

Mar 20, 2024, 5:15:49 PMMar 20
to Hutter-Prize
Exe packers like UPX are allowed. But beware that some of the lesser known packers give false alarms to virus detectors.

Dave Mullen

Mar 21, 2024, 7:16:33 AMMar 21
to Hutter Prize
Thank you for this clarification.

I have since realized that the compressor executable is already packed with UPX, and concatted with the compressed dictionary and article order.

Curse my aging brain, can't read code anymore :-(