is Indexing allowed?

Simon Whitaker

Jun 8, 2020, 7:19:37 PM6/8/20
to Hutter Prize
I have an algorithm that indexes data, compresses the index then recreates it losslessly. Technically its not data compression because it doesn't care what kind of data you have, and doesn't rearrange to data to make it smaller.  Is this against the rules? The end result is the same (way better in fact), but I wasn't sure if this comp was only for "re-arranging" data.  Because it doesn't touch the original data, it works on zip files, text files, jpg, mp3 etc,  in fact any file whether previously compressed or not. But it is slow..

James Bowery

Jun 8, 2020, 7:23:07 PM6/8/20
to Hutter Prize
The technique by which your program produces a smaller self-extracting archive is not mentioned in the rules.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 6:19 PM Simon Whitaker <simonjw...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an algorithm that indexes data, compresses the index then recreates it losslessly. Technically its not data compression because it doesn't care what kind of data you have, and doesn't rearrange to data to make it smaller.  Is this against the rules? The end result is the same (way better in fact), but I wasn't sure if this comp was only for "re-arranging" data.  Because it doesn't touch the original data, it works on zip files, text files, jpg, mp3 etc,  in fact any file whether previously compressed or not. But it is slow..

Simon Whitaker

Jun 8, 2020, 9:04:46 PM6/8/20
to Hutter Prize
not mentioned in the rules... meaning it is allowed or not?   I guess it's not specifically against the rules seeing as the outcome is the same

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 9:23:07 AM UTC+10, James Bowery wrote:
The technique by which your program produces a smaller self-extracting archive is not mentioned in the rules.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 6:19 PM Simon Whitaker <simonjw...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an algorithm that indexes data, compresses the index then recreates it losslessly. Technically its not data compression because it doesn't care what kind of data you have, and doesn't rearrange to data to make it smaller.  Is this against the rules? The end result is the same (way better in fact), but I wasn't sure if this comp was only for "re-arranging" data.  Because it doesn't touch the original data, it works on zip files, text files, jpg, mp3 etc,  in fact any file whether previously compressed or not. But it is slow..

James Bowery

Jun 8, 2020, 9:06:45 PM6/8/20
to Hutter Prize
That which is not mentioned is not constrained by the rules, therefore, yes, it is allowed.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hutter-prize/14ec59c5-3326-484f-af03-93739b66a57bo%40googlegroups.com.