Dan Grayson

57 views
Skip to first unread message

Egbert Rijke

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 2:06:32 PMSep 14
to Homotopy Type Theory
Friends,

This morning I received the sad news of Dan Grayson's passing. From an email from his son David, which was forwarded to me, I leaned that he passed away peacefully on August 28, 2026, in Henderson, Nevada.

I believe I may have been Dan's last postdoc. Dan offered to mentor me after Vladimir Voevodsky's passing. I will remember Dan above all for his great kindness and enthusiasm, and his unfailing encouragements when I was writing my book. Dan taught me how to write for an audience that never saw our subject before, and I specifically remember him pointing out to me on a sunny afternoon outside a cafe, in what ways I was assuming the readers of my book could read my mind. That is just one example of something I have learned from him, and still carry with me. Dan continued his acts of great kindness after I left UIUC. For instance, he would call me when I struggled with loneliness during the COVID pandemic. I will miss him dearly.

Below are some further details from his son's message:

Dan's memorial service will be on October 17th at 3PM PDT at the Grace Presbyterian Church, located at 5885 S Durango Dr, Las Vegas NV.

The memorial service will be streamed live on the church's YouTube channel and will also be available there afterward as a video:
https://www.youtube.com/@gracepresbyterianchurch4266

Memorial donations to Grace Presbyterian Church (Las Vegas) and to Garfield Farm Museum are welcome.
Grace Presbyterian Church: https://www.gracepclv.org/
Garfield Farm Museum: https://www.garfieldfarm.org/

Sincerely,
Egbert

Steve Awodey

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 2:22:55 PMSep 14
to Homotopy Type Theory
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Homotopy Type Theory" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to HomotopyTypeThe...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/HomotopyTypeTheory/CAGqv1OBwnb0%2BcV5MQqnz_xqc-MBGMW4xUvQX0SXJ2sQz8k05Jg%40mail.gmail.com.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages