Simon Holt

Janet Parker

May 14, 2008, 9:15:17 PM5/14/08
to holtcha...@googlegroups.com

September 4, 1816
Georgia Journal
     Departed this life on Thursday last, the ult. at 11 o'clock in the evening, Simon Holt., sen. of this county, aged 79 years. He was a native of Virginia, from whence he migrated to this state in the year 1798. He was one of the patriots of the revolution. His devotion to the principles which produced our independence as a nation, was warm, decided, useful and animated-he was for many years a member of the Baptist Church; he had no sectarian asperities - He thought as a Christian-he spoke as a Christian-he acted as a Christian-his piety was exemplery-his conduct just-it was upright. - He viewed with placid serenity his approaching exit, from time into eternity; :knowing that when this earthly house of his tabernacle was dissolved, he had a building of God, an house not made with hands eternal in the Heavens." On Friday the 30th ult. at 4 o'clock P.M. his remains were deposited in the Family Cemetery at Bellmore Farm, the seat of his sons Hines Holt, Esq. He has left an aged wife to mourn (to her) his erreparable loss, and a numerous offspring to mix with her's, the sympathetic tear, and we hope to emulate his virtues.