Mary Frances Holt, daughter of Rigdon Holt, married a Johnson at some point.

Mimi

May 3, 2007, 2:25:34 PM5/3/07
to Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC
Mary Frances Holt, daughter of Rigdon Holt and Dicey Womble, married a
Johnson at some point. Does anyone know which Johnson she married?
When ?

A warranty deed dated 7 Nov 1881 list her as Mary F. Johnson, an heir
of Richard B. Holt, her brother. William P. Holt and Willie C. Holt,
her siblings, are also listed as heirs of Richard B. Holt

Warranty:

Where as RB Holt on the third day of Oct. 1862 departed this life
leaving a tract of land in the county of Chatham and state of NC, and
whereas Rigdon Holt, his father, thinking he was the said RB Holt's
heir did sell to Simon Crump five acres and a half and 20 polls of
said RB Holt's land. Now be it known to all men that WP Holt and wife
Matilda Holt, Mary F. Johnson, Younger Jones and wife WC Holt lawful
heirs of RB Holt all of the county of Chatham and state of NC do bind
ourselves, our heirs, executors, and administrators severly and by
these presents to warrant and defend the right of said land sold by
Rigdon Holt to Simon Crump. And furthermore we agree that the deed
made by Rigdon Holt to Simon Crump as registered in Book A-T, pages
196 & 197, Oct. 6 1875 be a sufficient warranty from us to all intent
and purposes given under our hands and seals this 7 day of Nov.
1881.

Deed signed by WP Holt, Matilda Holt, Mary F. Johnson, Younger Jones,
and Willie C. Jones.

Recorded 6 Oct. 1885. Book B-N, p51.

I do not know why the 4 years between the execution of the warranty
and the recording of it.

jjen...@geeksnet.com

May 4, 2007, 8:34:25 AM5/4/07
to Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC

Mimi

May 4, 2007, 5:45:30 PM5/4/07
to Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC, jjen...@geeksnet.com
Here is what I have discovered about Mary Frances Holt since I posted
about the deed.

She married Oran T. Johnson on March 3, 1865. There is a marriage
bond for Oran Holt and Mary H. Holt. I think the bond date is wrong
since Mary would be too young to be married in 1845 as would Oran
Johnson. The middle initial does not agree with "F" for Frances and
her last name is not listed as Jenkins. But I think this is Mary F.
Holt. The 03 March 1865 date sounds about right. Especially since
Reddin Jenkins went missing in 1864. Since the archives are closed for
renovation I cannot get a copy of the original marriage bond to look
at it.

North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 North Carolina Marriage
Bonds, 1741-1868
Groom: Oran Johnson
Bride: Mary H Holt
Bond_Date: 01 Mar 1845
Bond #: 000020934
Marriage Date: 03 Mar 1865 1845
Level Info: North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
ImageNum: 003814
County: Chatham
Record #: 02 005
Witness: R. C. Cotten (C
Performed By: E Bryan, Justice of the Peace

The 1850 census shows Oran T. Johnson living with his parents, Aaron
and Drucilla Johnson, in Chatham County.

The 1860 census shows Oran Johnson, 22, living in the James Spivey
household. James Spivey married Synthia Holt, daughter of Richard
Holt, II and Elizabeth George.

The 1860 census also shows Reedin Jenkins, 37, wife, Mary, 26. On the
same census page are the parents of Oran Johnson.

The 1870 census shows Oran Johnson and wife Frances, no children.
Oran's age is listed as 55 at ancestry but in looking at the census
record it appears to be 35 to me. His wife Frances is 35.

The 1880 census shows Oran T. Johnson, 45 and wife Mary F., 49, no
children. The are both listed as disabled. He has rheumatism and she
has asthma.

Since Oran T. Johnson is not listed in the warranty deed with Mary F.
I assume he died between June 5, 1880 when the census was taken and
November 7, 1881. I do not know when Mary died.

I do not find Mary Frances Johnson in the 1900 census.

This is all I have on Mary Frances Holt. If you or anyone else finds
any errors let me know.

Mimi Kelly

clayto...@gmail.com

May 5, 2007, 5:25:13 PM5/5/07
to Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC
I agree with your conclusions. I think the marriage record you cite
is from 1865, not 1845. I don't believe I've seen any NC marriage
records, and certainly not Chatham County, NC records, prior to 1851
where the bond and the actual marriage date are listed. Also, in the
1860 census as you noted that Oran Johnson was living in the James
Spivey household, notice that Reddin & Mary Jenkins were living right
beside Atlas Spivey, a son of James and Syntha/Synthia Holt Spivey.
And Reddin and Atlas both joined Company E of the 8th Regiment of NC
Troops the same day in September 1861. Definitely there was some
familiarity there between those families. I bet the Spiveys knew what
happened to Reddin Jenkins at Cold Harbor. Not only was Atlas in that
same Company, but so were Atlas's brothers Wilson and Carney. (Note:
much of the Spivey family moved to Richmond County, NC after the war
and before 1870). I agree that Oran Johnson was 35 in the 1870
census, that's what it appears to say to me also, and that makes much
more sense than an age of 55. I can not find Mary Frances Holt
Johnson in 1900 either, nor Oran. Oran probably died 1880/81 as you
cited, but he was fairly young.

Thanks,
Clayton

Clayton Mann

May 5, 2007, 5:29:30 PM5/5/07
to Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC
Here's the 1860 census record showing Reddin & Mary Holt Jenkins, and also Atlas Spivey.

Clayton
JenkinsReddin&Mary-MiddleChathamNC1860.jpeg

Mimi Kelly

May 5, 2007, 7:05:51 PM5/5/07
to HoltCha...@googlegroups.com
Clayton, remember that Oran Johnson was listed as disabled in the 1880 census.  He had rheumatism and this may have contributed to his death.

Do you know anything about  Oran Johnson's parents, Aaron and Drucilla Johnson? Are they  part of your Johnson/Johnston  family?

Mimi

clayto...@gmail.com

May 5, 2007, 7:29:11 PM5/5/07
to Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC
Found this online as well:

North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868

Groom: Joseph Kelley
Bride: Elizabeth Spivy
Bond_Date: 20 Dec 1860
Bond #: 000020961
Marriage Date: 20 Dec 1860

Level Info: North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868

ImageNum: 007536

County: Chatham
Record #: 02 005

Bondsman: Redding Jenkins
Witness: W. Hanks (Deputy Clerk)
Performed By: J. N. Clegg, Justice of the Peace

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 [database on-
line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Original
data: State of North Carolina. An Index to Marriage Bonds Filed in the
North Carolina State Archives. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina
Division of Archives and History, 1977.

By the way, Joseph Kelly was also in Company E of the 8th Regiment.
He apparently died in the early 1870s and Eliaabeth remarried to a Sam
Thompson.

Clayton