Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, 1846

瀏覽次數:42 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

erm...@hotmail.com

未讀,
2007年4月1日 下午6:30:452007/4/1
收件者:Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC
The following are mentions of the Holts in the Chatham CPQS Minutes
for 1846 taken from Family History Library microfilm 0590302. There
were apparently some filming problems and the bottoms of the pages are
dark and cannot be read.

Feb 1846
Henry Mann and Jeptha Holt to be summoned for May Court

Ordered by the Court that Squire Holt be appointed Overseer of the
road Commencing at the forks of the road at [Haywood] to the Wake
County line and these hands work under him Barzilla Mimms C S Williams
hands Robert Windham Anderson Holt [bottom line cannot be read] Turner
Byrd Wesley Womack Henderson Holt Richard Holt James Holt & Gaston
Womack.

Ordered by the Court that Alsa Holt be appointed Overseer of the Road
from Barzilla Mims to Jeremiah [Ma----] [Mill} Spring and these hands
work under him Ezra Holloman Jordan Holloman William Goodwin David
Mimms, Richard Cotton, Jesse Mann & John Mann.

Ordered by the Court that William Crump be appointed overseer of the
road from the fork of the Road at Brittan Drakes to when it intersects
with the Raleigh Road near Haywood and the Widow Crumps hands [Mrs.]
Armsteads hands Rigdon Holt Thomas Holt and his own hands work under
him.

May 1846
John Mann to take taxes in Cooks District
T.C. Mann to take taxes in Snipes District

Jeptha Holt and Henry Mann served on a jury

Aug 1846
Administration of all and Singular the goods and chattels rights and
credits of Andrew Peddy Decd is granted to Andrew Peddy who entered
into bond in the sum of $400 with Jeptha Holt as his security and is
qualified.

Jurors for Sep Term (would be Superior Court): John J. Mann, John W.
Mann, Rigdon Holt

Ordered by the Court that the sheriff pay Squire Holt $5.49 his ticket
State vs William Kelly [this entry is made with the August minutes
with a notation that the order was actually made at November Term
1846]

Nov 1846
Fletcher Mann served on the Grand Jury

A deed from John Johnson to George Holt proved by the oath of Johnson
Olive

Andrew Peddy Admr of Andrew Peddy Decd returned an account of sales
which is ordered to be recorded.

Clayton Mann

未讀,
2007年4月2日 晚上11:43:582007/4/2
收件者:HoltCha...@googlegroups.com
Beth, thanks again for going to trouble to transcribe these court minutes.  I know it is not easy, but it is valuable.

Comments on some of the names mentioned:

  • Henry Mann, born about 1801, was the son of William Mann and the nephew of Roland Mann.  Not our Mann family
  • Jeptha Holt, son of George A. Holt
  • Barzilla Mims, married to Willey Womble.  Willey was the granddaughter of Andrew Peddy
  • Jeremiah Mann was the son of Silas Mann and the grandson of Richard Mann
  • Anderson Holt was the son of George A. Holt
  • Henderson Holt was the son of Squire Holt, and grandson of Richard Holt II
  • Richard & James Holt were the sons of Richard Holt II
  • Gaston Womack was the husband of Jane Holt, youngest child of George A. Holt
  • Ezra Holleman was the husband of Rebecca Womble.  Rebecca was a sister of Willey Womble.  Ezra was the son of Jesse Holleman.
  • Jordan and Ezra Holleman were 1st cousins
  • David Mims' 2nd wife was Milbury Johns[t]on.  Milbury was the daughter of Richard & Patience Mann Johnston.  David's third wife was Bethany Mann, sister of John & Jesse Mann
  • Richard Cotten married Mary Ann Holleman, the younger sister of Malinda Jones Holleman Holt.  Malinda was the wife of Anderson Holt
  • Jesse and John Mann were brothers and the sons of Martin Mann.  This record makes me think that Jesse Mann was a little older than had previously been estimated by most people.  The most common estimate for his birth year is 1829, but I think you had to be 18 to be called upon for county road work.  Believe that based on this record that 1827/28 would be a better estimate of his birth year.
  • Rigdon & Thomas Holt were brothers and the sons of Richard Holt II
  • Jurors T. C. Mann & John Mann were part of the Roland Mann family and not our Mann family; same with Henry Mann
  • Andrew Peddy, Revolutionary War Veteran, died in June 1846.  He had a son named Andrew Peddy and Jeptha Holt was his son-in-law
  • John J. Mann was the son of Roland Mann.  John W. Mann was either the son of John J. Mann or Roland Taylor Mann.  Roland Taylor was the son of Roland Mann.  None of these men are part of our Mann family
  • Squire Holt was the oldest son of Richard Holt II
  • Fletcher Mann was the son of John J. Mann (John Jones Mann)
  • John Johns[t]on was either the son of Charles and Prudence Mann Johnston or the son of John & Sarah Stephens Johnston.  Charles and this older John were half-brothers, John being the elder brother.  I suspect that this John that was mentioned in the 1846 minutes is the son of Charles & Prudence.  I bet this is where he was selling his land before moving to Mississippi within a year.
  • George Holt was the son of Richard Holt II
  • Johnson Olive was the grandson or John & Sarah Stephens Johnston
Thanks again for the research.  If you have more to post, I will be glad to analyze and comment.

Clayton

erm...@hotmail.com

未讀,
2007年4月19日 晚上9:53:122007/4/19
收件者:Holt Family of Chatham and Wake Counties, NC
Thank you for your notes, Clayton, they were very helpful. I have
been able to piece together many of the Holt connections but not the
Manns or Johns[t]ons. Who were the parents of Charles and John
Johns[t]on and were there other siblings? Do you know where this
family came from?

I am still working on the Court minutes but have been sidetracked by
DeedMapper and have been busy entering Burns grants. I do have a few
more notes to post and am not including the years that are transcribed
in the NCGS Journals.

回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄