Northampton Forum on banning single use bags

1 view

Jessica Tanner

Apr 1, 2015, 3:09:18 PM4/1/15
to Help Yourself
Greetings everyone.
Please spread the word to all and sundry about this forum (email from Councilor Paul Spector follows).  FYI, Cambridge just passed a plastic bag ban earlier this week:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/03/31/cambridge-city-council-approves-ban-plastic-bags/7ABn24xjFIhwIsoModIR2O/story.html
Susan

Hi

Next Tuesday, April 7th, the Northampton City Council will hold a public forum on the Solid Waste Reduction Ordinance co-sponsored by Councilor Jesse Adams and myself. The meeting (from 5-7:00pm in Council Chambers) offers an opportunity for people to learn about and discuss the proposed ban on single-use plastic bags.

     Northampton is estimated to use some 8-10 million bags per year. Single-use plastic bags are extremely destructive to wildlife and to the health of our rivers and streams. They are costly to dispose of, unsightly, and their production adds to CO2 emissions. Our ordinance, modeled on a similar ban passed by the California legislature last summer, will come before City Council for a vote later this month,

     Because cost effective and environmentally friendly alternatives exist, many American states and communities are in the process of enacting, or have already passed, comparable bans on these bags. The European Union, China and many other countries also prohibit their use. In fact, with the addition of the new bans in the United States, world-wide almost 2 billion people will live in places where the use of these bags, at point of sale, is no longer allowed.

     I hope you can attend the Forum next Tuesday to learn more and to have your voice heard.

--
Paul Spector
Ward 2

(City of Northampton E-mail is a public record except when it falls under one of the specific statutory exemptions.)