Hex + FreeBSD 8.0

Zamri Besar

Oct 29, 2009, 2:02:51 PM10/29/09
to hex-livecd, Zamri Besar

Hye all,

Any plan for next version of Hex with incoming FreeBSD 8.0?

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/schedule.html

--
Thank you.

Zamri Besar

Kevin Foo

Oct 29, 2009, 11:32:49 PM10/29/09
to hex-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zamri,

We have planned to use FreeBSD 8.0 for HeX 3. However, for consideration on easy upgrade of HeX, tools like freebsd-update and HeX meta-ports are focused. Hence, we would like to wait for 8.0-R in order to utilise freebsd-update. BETA/RC releases are moving too quick and probably unstable. More information can be found at https://trac.security.org.my/hex/wiki/NowWhat

In addition, we have HeX 2.2 based on FreeBSD 7.2 (HeX 2.1 skipped for short life FreeBSD 7.1. HeX 2.2 is meant for developer preview only) in circulation. Feel free to try it out and let us have your feedback.

http://my.rawpacket.org/hex-i386-2.2-BETA-20090611.iso
http://my.rawpacket.org/hex-i386-2.2-BETA-20090611.iso.md5
http://my.rawpacket.org/hex-i386-2.2-BETA-20090611.iso.sha256

Apart from that, there is plan for HeX sensor and server releases for complete deployment of NSM. But we are short of resources (time, developer, build machine and etc). As a result, these are on hold.

--
Regards
Kevin Foo

Zamri Besar

Oct 30, 2009, 3:26:20 AM10/30/09
to hex-l...@googlegroups.com, Zamri Besar

Noted and many thanks.

I'm downloading it now and will test it.

bonbonboi

Nov 29, 2009, 2:39:21 AM11/29/09
to HeX liveCD
but V 8 of FreeBSD is already out!
can i upgrade my hex ?

Kevin Foo

Nov 30, 2009, 2:19:24 AM11/30/09
to hex-l...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM, bonbonboi <bonb...@foxmail.com> wrote:
but V 8 of FreeBSD is already out!
can i upgrade my hex ?

Sorry for the late response.

Short answer : Yes

Long answer : Yes, but it is a PITA process. You need to upgrade the freebsd to 8.0 from src (freebsd-update will not work on HeX prior to 2.2Beta) and recompile the ports. Yes, this is messy. We are working on HeX "meta" ports and moving base to FreeBSD -RELEASE for next HeX release. This will make upgrade process less painless.

--
Regards
Kevin Foo

mohd fenris