Haxe from 1000ft, understanding haxe for newcomers

Sven Bergström

Feb 18, 2015, 9:57:52 AM2/18/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I've been getting a lot of people asking me questions about this type of thing, so I collated all my replies into a single blog post.
http://notes.underscorediscovery.com/haxe-from-1000ft/

Feedback welcome, as always.

Enjoy!

Philippe Elsass

Feb 18, 2015, 10:50:20 AM2/18/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Great post!

Cauê Waneck

Feb 18, 2015, 12:03:22 PM2/18/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Very nice!

JLM

Feb 18, 2015, 1:22:16 PM2/18/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
This looks good.  But I think you should clarify targets on NME and OpenFL eg:

  • NME (native media engine)
    • long standing media and game framework loosely based on flash API's
    • the original backbone of many frameworks and tools
    • C++ or Flash
  • OpenFL (Open Flash Library)  often fairly interchangable with NME.
    • forked from NME originally to align closer to Flash API
    • general purpose framework based on Flash 2D API
    • many game frameworks built on top of it, HaxeFlixel, HaxePunk, etc
    • many tools built dependent on it like haxeui
    • C++, Flash or Html5
As it's important detail,

Also I am unsure if you should also cover Format,Snow, Polygonal, Tink, HaxeFixel, HaxePunk, Hxswfml, etc... I guess it's hard to decide which to cover.

Saumya Ray

Feb 19, 2015, 12:36:30 AM2/19/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nice post. Much needed to point someone to the start with the expectations.