Debugging Flash

Robin Burrer

Apr 3, 2013, 8:08:36 AM4/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

After I have done some js projects in haxe I’m really starting to like haxe as a programming language. Now I need to do an Adobe AIR project. I don’t really want to go back to Flashbuilder  and Actionscript so I thought I would be cool to develop this project in haxe as well. I also much prefer Sublime Text for coding.

The only downside is debugging. I’m not really sure how to debug my Flash output. I want to be able to set breakpoints and see what’s happening inside my App.

I s this possible?  What are you using to debug your flash outputs?

Regards

Robin

Alexander Syed

Apr 3, 2013, 1:40:49 PM4/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
You would need to to compile your Haxe code with -D fdb for flash targets, and then either use the fdb app that comes with the flex sdk or some other IDE that supports flash debugging. (Like IntelliJ)
I'm not sure how that can be done with Sublime Text, however fdb is a command line tool so can be potentially wired into Sublime Text via plugins.

Robin

Michael Baczynski

Apr 3, 2013, 2:07:12 PM4/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
FlashDevelop works great for debugging. Just enable the Debugger in Project Properties -> Compiler Options, set your break points with F9 and compile with F5.

best,
Michael

Chris D

Apr 3, 2013, 7:58:11 PM4/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I use Intellij Idea and Flash Develop for flash debugging, I think FDT does it aswell but haven't tried it.
imho Flash Develop is the best production ready IDE for Haxe atm, its a shame its stuck in windows dependencies.

Robin Burrer

Apr 4, 2013, 6:30:09 AM4/4/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your answers everybody.

I tried using fdb form the command line and I must say it’s no fun. I think I’m going to use flash develop for this project.

Regards

Robin