What's the target of heaps game framework?

davy zhang

Oct 10, 2014, 4:06:12 AM10/10/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
OpenFL has no official 3D solution, is heaps mean to fill in?

Or heaps is another solution just like Openfl and with 3D support?

Thanks for any infomation

Nicolas Cannasse

Oct 10, 2014, 4:11:19 AM10/10/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 10/10/2014 10:06, davy zhang a écrit :
> OpenFL has no official 3D solution, is heaps mean to fill in?
>
> Or heaps is another solution just like Openfl and with 3D support?

Heaps is entirely designed for 3D support, so it has different goals
than OpenFL. It is still evolving and has not yet reached 1.0, although
some parts of it have been quite stable for months. It also miss
documentation, so I would say it's not yet ready for anyone to use it,
although some people do already and we are using it at Shiro for our games.

Best,
Nicolas

davy zhang

Oct 10, 2014, 4:18:23 AM10/10/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
So, what's the cross-platform plan. OpenFL did some solid working on lime tool chain, will heaps leverage the same tool chain or start a new one.

Or, its still to early to say anything about that?

Thanks for fastest reply, like you always did :P

Nicolas Cannasse

Oct 10, 2014, 8:05:01 AM10/10/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 10/10/2014 10:18, davy zhang a écrit :
> So, what's the cross-platform plan. OpenFL did some solid working on
> lime tool chain, will heaps leverage the same tool chain or start a new one.
>
> Or, its still to early to say anything about that?
>
> Thanks for fastest reply, like you always did :P

Heaps is entirely built on top of a very few platform-specific classes:

- h3d.impl.Driver :handle the 3D context
(Stage3DDriver for Flash, GLDriver for WebGL)
- hxd.Stage : handle events, mouse position, viewport size, etc
- hxd.System : additional properties, including main loop
- hxd.BitmapData : native bitmap format

...and a few more but not much

Every other part of the library is built on top of these in pure Haxe.

Currently heaps run in Flash/Stage3D and HTML5/WebGL. I'm planning to
have it run on HxCPP/OpenGL "soon", haven't yet decided what to use for
OGL display (multiple candidates including OpenFL/NME/Snow)

Best,
Nicolas

davy zhang

Oct 10, 2014, 1:31:41 PM10/10/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification. It looks good to me, keep up with the good work. I'll do some experiments and try to figure out a way to merge.

BTW, Snow looks promising :P

davy zhang

Oct 15, 2014, 6:14:00 AM10/15/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Checked out snowkit, find it doesn't support stage3d/flash target, it's a show stopper for me.