Neko Runtime and Haxe licenses

Pavel Alexandrov

Feb 2, 2014, 12:57:31 AM2/2/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I'm reading about licenses of Haxe, because I'm developing a game, which most possibly will be distributed on a paid basis. With a Haxe itself and libraries that I use there is no problem (They all use MIT license), but on License page written, that Haxe uses Neko Runtime and Neko uses LGPL license. But link to "how?" Haxe uses Neko Runtime is broken. Is there any problems with distributing a non-free software, developed on Haxe because of Neko Runtime? (Even if it is compiled under cpp target)

Saar Korren

Feb 2, 2014, 3:04:58 AM2/2/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
The only part that is important to you is that the Neko runtime isn't linked with your executable. The way compiler licenses work is, only the parts that actually links to your program, i.e. the standard library, need a copy-center license.

Incidentally, the HaXe compiler is GPL, which is actually stricter than LGPL. But this doesn't matter for you since you are not bundling the HaXe compiler with your program.

Pavel Alexandrov

Feb 2, 2014, 10:02:17 AM2/2/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that explains a bit. One more question: Is i'm allowed to compile project to neko-vm while internal testing (not public release) even if my program not freeware?
P.S. And sorry for my English :)

Dan Korostelev

Feb 2, 2014, 10:13:22 AM2/2/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Oh snap. I was actually thinking about using NekoVM as embedded scripting engine for a game (you know, instead of Lua or JS), however if it's LGPL, I'm not allowed to distribute that game as a non-free software, right? That limits the use of the VM, i guess.

Dan Korostelev

Feb 2, 2014, 10:15:01 AM2/2/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind, the website is outdated. It was relicenced to MIT according to https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/neko/blob/master/LICENSE

Pavel Alexandrov

Feb 2, 2014, 10:25:35 AM2/2/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Oh, thanks for the answer. Now I'm calm about that question. But there still a little obscurity. "About", on the nekovm.org there are still says, that Neko VM is licensed under LGPL. Which source I'm need to trust?

Saar Korren

Feb 2, 2014, 1:12:31 PM2/2/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
The source code files themselves contain the MIT license text. This qualifies as an authority that every file within the source code is available under MIT. This includes the C-based VM and JIT, so it's embeddable. The same goes for the standard library, so .n files can be safely distributed without source even if linked against the Neko standard library.

Nicolas Cannasse

Feb 3, 2014, 6:28:49 AM2/3/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Le 02/02/2014 16:25, Pavel Alexandrov a écrit :
> Oh, thanks for the answer. Now I'm calm about that question. But there
> still a little obscurity. "About", on the nekovm.org
> <http://nekovm.org/> there are still says, that Neko VM is licensed
> under LGPL. Which source I'm need to trust?

The information was outdated, it's just been updated.

Best,
Nicolas