Feature request, CSS as a HAXE target or HSS as a HAXE lib ?

Saumya Ray

Sep 27, 2015, 1:36:28 PM9/27/15
to Haxe
Wondering whether HSS is maintained !

Can we have a HAXE lib for HSS or is it still exists and I am not aware ?

While targeting other languages are nice. I think making CSS as a HAXE target is ignored.

thanks

Nico May

Sep 27, 2015, 3:44:50 PM9/27/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
....how would one target css with haxe? its not a programming language (maybe my definition is wrong, but its at least not one capable of solving logic questions?)

Nico

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Sep 27, 2015, 3:48:41 PM9/27/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Like sass does for CSS, just a preprocessor. It's a neat idea actually.

JLM

Sep 28, 2015, 5:38:32 AM9/28/15
to Haxe
It's also possible to inject css into the header or body from haxe code at runtime, this is something I do for creating a css onEnterFrame for my code, but you could actually use it to adjust styles on the fly directly from code, I suspect it's a great way to upset standards people, maybe the same as using comic sans in the presence of a designer.

Mark Knol

Sep 29, 2015, 3:16:09 AM9/29/15
to Haxe
Given the commits, there hasn't been much activity on HSS after 2013.
https://github.com/ncannasse/hss

I would also suggest to use LESS or SASS since both projects are very active and maintained.

As said, I think CSS is not a programming language but markup styling, so you could wonder how CSS could be a possible target.
I could imaging one creates a fancy lib that parses and writes Haxe objects to stylesheets and back, but maybe something like that is already done..? http://lib.haxe.org/search/?v=css

Greetings,

Saumya Ray

Sep 29, 2015, 7:01:48 AM9/29/15
to Haxe
Thats true about LESS and SASS.

But since HAXE is having target for different platforms and we have HSS, it would be better if we make CSS in HAXE too.

saumya

JLM

Sep 29, 2015, 7:52:10 AM9/29/15
to Haxe
HSS does not seem to have any bug reports that need fixing, so the argument about which is most active is probably irrelevant,
Neko rarely gets many changes yet it still works well.  You can use the argument about larger user base but if you looking at solutions then I would not be surprised if HSS is cleaner than alternatives.

Saumya Ray

Sep 29, 2015, 8:06:40 AM9/29/15
to Haxe
Thanks JLM.

I am asking to make it a HAXE lib :)

David Elahee

Sep 29, 2015, 8:13:08 AM9/29/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Wow that wasn't clear at all. @saumya the code of hss is pretty simple ( https://github.com/ncannasse/hss/blob/master/hss/Rules.nml

Since Nicolas do no longer make css work on a daily basis, my bet is he has other things to do, I strongly suggest you take his code and port it to haxe then commit to haxelib. It should be a matter of few hours really and everybody in the community will just be grateful. Nicolas is not paid to do such things really so asking for things to happen usually cannot work (unless you have a budget for that ? )

Good luck !

:)

David Elahee