Looking for a Haxe programmer

Sami Habib

Jan 4, 2015, 7:10:23 AM1/4/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I'm a part of Dream Show Adventures, a newly formed company looking to get into the video game industry. Our first order of business is completing our first commercial game, Pipe Works. Our biggest problem is programming. A majority of art assets are already complete and at this point we're focused on progressing with programming. We currently have 2 artists, 1 composer, and 3 other programmings on the team.

While we have a few off-and-on programmers, we are still in dire need of help. I am currently doing most of the work and it would be good to have another person to assist. The main point is that we need someone who can contribute a fair amount of their time to this, on a regular basis.

We're using Haxe Flixel to write the engine. You should be reasonably familiar with Haxe, as well as being able to read and understand code written by other people. Experience with Haxe Flixel would be preferable but isn't necessary. Although the game is in it's alpha stages, we are looking to complete the game by the end of August. While there will be desktop versions (Windows, Mac and Linux), our main target will be mobile phones and tablets (Android and iOS, possibly others).

I will be straightforward towards the matter of payment. We are unable to offer any upfront payment or hourly pay, only a 10% revenue share.

If you're interested, please contact the head of development at ninsp...@gmail.com. Thanks for reading!

JLM

Jan 5, 2015, 5:43:45 AM1/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
It's generally not a good idea for developers to get involved in other peoples revenue shares, they might as well focus on there own if they can really live with no income for awhile, so it is probably advisable to get some investor funding or a loan and then come back to the haxe list looking for devs with an hourly rate in mind, that way you will get much better quality of coding even if the hourly rate you can offer is not ideal.  I am sure that many here will be thinking the same as me, even if they are not openly commenting.

Best Justin

Sami Habib

Jan 5, 2015, 7:56:58 AM1/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I understand what you're saying Justin, and I appreciate your input. To be honest we're just looking for someone willing to code for the love of coding, rather than for a monetary incentive. Not only because payment is a bit difficult, but also because it would (in my opinion at least) be good to have someone who codes because they enjoy it and actually want to create this game as much as the rest of us. Every current member of the group is enthusiastic about the game itself and in my case any revenue share is just a nice extra.

I'm not saying payment is a bad thing of course, I just don't think it's as necessary as you're implying. I myself was asked to join (I wasn't a part of it from the beginning) and accepted simply because I wanted to, before I even knew anything about payment. Granted, I am a student and don't currently need to financially support myself with a job.

In any case, people are free to email and ask about possible negotiations that could be made in regards to payment if they want to.

PSvils

Jan 5, 2015, 8:08:05 AM1/5/15
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
If you're looking for people to help out not for monetary incentives, then you definitely need to explain what the project is in the first place! :) (Screenshots, description, setup, artwork etc., otherwise I doubt anyone will seriously respond -> all programmers have ideas of their own they want to work on, and probably won't care about yours until you can show that it really is a good idea!)