Code Quality/Review/Analysis Tools

Michel

May 25, 2014, 7:34:35 AM5/25/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi the community

Are there any plans or groups working on some code quality/analysis tools for the Haxe language?

I'd say that tools like Checkstyle, StyleCop, FindBugs, PMD, Solar and how they are called (most of them for Java which has a huge tool base) are an important factor to make Haxe more "enterprise like".
Of course this is a blump statement without any supporting stats/articles, but in the days of CI servers and all the automation such tools have become a "must have" in the Java/C# etc. world and I have not yet met a large company NOT using them.

If no one is working on tools for that, are there people interested in building a "task force group" for that?

Michel

Juraj Kirchheim

May 25, 2014, 9:07:18 AM5/25/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
It comes up every now and then. You can probably get a lot of stuff
done by hooking into haxe.macro.Context.onGenerate.

Jason O'Neil

May 25, 2014, 9:35:44 PM5/25/14
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
There is a code coverage tool by Massive Interactive:

https://github.com/massiveinteractive/MassiveCover/

Like Juraj suggested this works by using macros to insert some checks that all code paths are reached and executed, and this integrates with their munit tool when generating testing reports.  It's fairly impressive and you could certainly learn a lot if you wanted to implement other code quality tools.

I believe the compiler team also wants to work on a static analyser at some point. I'm not sure what the planned feature set is but if you could hook into it with macros there might be even more possibilities.  I'd be interested in hearing what else is (or will be) possible.

Jason