What libraries and project are you using when development website using haxe?

Freewind

Jan 23, 2013, 11:12:55 PM1/23/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all:

I'm thinking to use haxe to create websites, because the php hostings are cheap. But I don't have any experience with php or haxe before, so I wonder what you are using. (PS: I was using Java before)

What I need:

1. mvc haxe framework
2. orm
3. restful api
4. db connection pool (is it still important in haxe/php)?
5. template rendering
6. good json support (parsing and rendering)

Thanks for sharing :)

Cambiata

Jan 24, 2013, 2:05:12 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Freewind!

I'm using Harfang (https://github.com/njuneau/Harfang) for websites. Very clean and simple. Easy to use macro driven route configuration.
I've hacked a bit to be able to return objects from the controllers (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/haxelang/DHRbWTs3QHU/xZ1NTwe_U38J)

I'm using neko instead of php. No big deal, I guess, but it's faster (quite much if you are doing some real calculations) and I find it much simpler to deal with just one or few compiled .n files than a php directory tree of files.

Of course, you should take a look at Ufront (https://github.com/fponticelli/ufront) and Erazor (Ciscoheat's original repo here: https://github.com/ciscoheat/erazor, but things have been going on since then, for example Caue's https://github.com/waneck/erazor)

/ Jonas

Cambiata

Jan 24, 2013, 2:19:23 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
À propos AngularJS, I used that for frontend js and ajax stuff for some time - and liked it a lot - but in the end
I realized that I could get the same results using plain Haxe JS (including template stuff).

So cool and efficient to use the same language all over the field (server, web framework, client js)!

Of course, your AngularJS/Haxe achievements are closing the gap in an interesting way.
Keep us informed what you end up with!

Freewind

Jan 24, 2013, 2:23:31 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
@Cambiata, thank you so much for these advices. I will try to use your solution(without angularjs) to see which is simpler to use.

Freewind

Jan 24, 2013, 2:34:59 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
@ Cambiata, What orm are you using? SPOD ?

Postite

Jan 24, 2013, 2:57:06 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
@freewind Spod are great ! Especially with web.Dispatch.

@cambiata

I realized that I could get the same results using plain Haxe JS (including template stuff).
How did you manage to do the binding with your template (erazor ?) i'm struggling on this.

Cambiata

Jan 24, 2013, 3:12:07 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com, da...@postite.com
@Freewind:
Actually, my latest projects I've been using quite an odd solution, bypassing traditional databases.
In the team we've needed quick and simple common data editing, reporting etc. and for that we've used Google docs - spreadsheets for tables and documents for text stuff. I've created a (very messy but still somehow working) solution for fetching those data (https://github.com/cambiata/cx/blob/master/src/cx/GoogleTools.hx) into plain text csv style data, and configuring/feeding my site with these...

I'm definitely going for SPOD with my coming solutions.

@Postite:
I haven't been using Erazor at all, just plain vanilla haxe.Template.

Axel Huizinga

Jan 24, 2013, 4:51:32 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com

Am 24.01.2013 08:57, schrieb Postite:
@freewind Spod are great ! Especially with web.Dispatch.

@cambiata
I realized that I could get the same results using plain Haxe JS (including template stuff).
How did you manage to do the binding with your template (erazor ?) i'm struggling on this.
Can you explain where is the problem?

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:19:23 PM UTC+8, Cambiata wrote:
À propos AngularJS, I used that for frontend js and ajax stuff for some time - and liked it a lot - but in the end
I realized that I could get the same results using plain Haxe JS (including template stuff).

So cool and efficient to use the same language all over the field (server, web framework, client js)!

Of course, your AngularJS/Haxe achievements are closing the gap in an interesting way.
Keep us informed what you end up with!

E-Mail ist virenfrei.
Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
Version: 2013.0.2890 / Virendatenbank: 2638/6026 - Ausgabedatum: 11.01.2013
Die Virendatenbank sind veraltet.

Eric Priou

Jan 24, 2013, 7:14:04 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Freewind,

1. mvc haxe framework
2. orm
3. restful api
4. db connection pool (is it still important in haxe/php)?
5. template rendering
6. good json support (parsing and rendering)
Haxe standard libs could already ease the website development.

I've successfully deploy a website solution with :

- WebDispatcher like a serverside front controller
- SPOD macros for data persistence objects + customs macros
- haxe template + customs macros for rendering the views

On the clientside, you'd choose for an UI, and its dedicated externs.
I'd opted for jquerymobile, which is nice and feature rich.
I'd also integrated it with Raphaeljs, for some datavis stuff, which is available also as externs.

I think you could also choose a framework like MassiveMVC, but it'd be modified to compile for haxe 3.
It's dependency injection system is great + the signal integration for event messaging.
You could add it the jquerymobile router and capture URL change to dispatch them to the main Context class, which act as a client FrontController too.

It is definitively a good solution, that it's well documented.

Unfortunatly, It is not always the case…
I had difficulties to find ressource on erazor for example, but never tried harfang.

I'll try to clean an example to push it to github.

HTH

---
Eric Priou aka erixtekila

Freewind

Jan 24, 2013, 8:35:27 AM1/24/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all of your advices!

Confidant

Jan 25, 2013, 10:52:24 PM1/25/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody use HaxIgniter? (I say this not knowing how capable it is)

Jason O'Neil

Jan 25, 2013, 11:13:53 PM1/25/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Franco made this comment: "Haxeigniter is a great project but is basically closed; its author Andreas helped me out a lot with ufront."   Haven't used Haxigniter but am using Ufront for 2 projects at the moment and enjoying it.  The documentation is lacking, but hopefully that's something I'll be able to help with though.  If anyone wants to have a go with it let me know and I'll see if I can help out.

Jason

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Confidant <al...@alteredegg.com> wrote:
Does anybody use HaxIgniter? (I say this not knowing how capable it is)

Postite

Jan 26, 2013, 7:53:07 AM1/26/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I am using haxigniter.
I think it is great . Even if it is not maintained ,it is still efficient.
It' lightweight , has a good controller/view coupling.
The routes are automatised
There is a good runtime/caching/sesssion stuff.
I am using it with spods and it is working well.

I never used Ufront nor harfang but ufront ( last time i checked ) seems to be too much fractionned (is it an english word ?) for me. A lot of classes for every single behaviour or state wich is very hard to understand at first.

Haxiginiter could benefit of several improvement because it is quild old.
For example, it's routing system could be remplaced by web.Dispatch.
There could be some  spod utilities added for convenience. (Like spod admin).
As i remember, it has some problems with haxe 2.10 wich i had fixed somewhere (ask for it if you want).
And it could use some more templating system . There is not erazor support wich is strange because andreas created both of them. I can provide this if you want too.

For some more comments,I like its request decorating system, the config system is quite clear, but i don.t generally use its database request.. Wich i remplaced with spods.

Voila voila...

Btw . I just started a little experiment with MMVC yesterday night.
It seems to be quite convenient for a javascript backend system.
But i'm not used to Robotlegs so it's a bit disturbing.
Does anyone use this regurally?

Confidant

Jan 26, 2013, 2:55:24 PM1/26/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I also ran across the PokoCMS today, thought it would be good to mention it here. Anybody have an opinion about that? :)

Confidant

Jan 26, 2013, 3:04:27 PM1/26/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Ufront has a nice tutorial which makes it look very intuitive.

Confidant

Jan 26, 2013, 10:57:35 PM1/26/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for all the spam. :)
I'd be interested how HaQuery compares to these others too.

Cambiata

Jan 29, 2013, 11:53:17 AM1/29/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
@Confidant:

I can see that Yaroslaw has updated both the HaQuery framework and the site (haquery.com) today.
I just had a quick check some year ago, but then a patched Haxe version was needed (if I remember right), so I didn't go on
any further. But obviously HaQuery is alive and kicking. Seems cool with the built-in frontend/backend integration.

Freewind

Jan 30, 2013, 4:05:45 AM1/30/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
The built-in frontend/backend integration feature of haquery seems cool, does ufront have similar features? If not, is it easy to do something similar by myself?

Cambiata

Jan 30, 2013, 4:18:48 AM1/30/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
No, I don't think there's anything like it built into Ufront.

I asked a question some time ago:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/haxelang/cambiata$20remoting/haxelang/a9ITv7iGfXU/4CNAHzcVOcIJ

I started using Domtools (now Detox) but it doesn't support IE8, so I had to leave that out. But the plain vanilla Haxe jQuery support, in combination with the possibility to use standard Haxe templating, sharing classes and types with the server code etc. makes it really easy to create integrated solutions.

I haven't tried remoting though. I'm quite interested in figuring out how that would change the situation.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer

Jan 30, 2013, 10:12:18 PM1/30/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Confidant: Poko / PokoCMS are quite old, or at least the versions that are online are very old. I need to do a new push of the Poko Framework soon, as I've been using it at fanplayr.com for ages now, on a massive site. It's PHP only, and isn't likely to support anything else in the future. The good part of this is that it is made to be able to integrate easily enough with existing PHP libs, I'm using memcached, AWS libs etc and it all works well.

The CMS itself is usable, and can be quite good for data driven sites, but there isn't much "front end" to the CMS. It's all backend data stuff. And it needs to be re-written to take advantage of the new framework and probably support things like caching.

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
_______________________

Touch My Pixel
http://www.touchmypixel.com/
cell: +1 650 842 0920

Cambiata

Feb 3, 2013, 1:35:09 PM2/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com, tar...@touchmypixel.com
Hi Freewind and others!

I've created a small project called HxJsMicroMVC, that can be seen as an humble attempt to organize client side Haxe JS/JQuery stuff.
Somwhat inspired by AnuglarJS in the use of Controllers bound to URIs. (Don't expect other similarities.)
Have a look if you're interested:

https://github.com/cambiata/HxJsMicroMVC

Regards!

/ Jonas

Cambiata

Feb 3, 2013, 1:46:32 PM2/3/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com, tar...@touchmypixel.com
Nota Bene! It's just a simple first step, to get a feeling of good or bad...