Stuck before I begin. Development environment for NME.

Daniel Freeman

May 14, 2013, 12:54:52 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I've been enthusiastic about HaXe, and HaXe NME for quite a while - but I've had no time to thoroughly investigate them.  Now I have the time, and a potential project - I'm stuck on getting started.

I want to develop HaXe NME on a Mac.  I have the newest version of FDT5 free.  And I've tried following the instructions, and copying the NME template folders from BOTH of the following Github repositories.  (Just in case there was any difference in the fork that wasn't merged back).

I restarted everything, but the new options don't appear in the project wizard.

Are there any further steps or work-arounds I should know about getting NME working with FDT5 on a Mac?

If it won't work with FDT5, Is there another IDE?  Preferably free.  (FlashDevelop is not an option for Mac).

Jörg Wasmeier

May 14, 2013, 3:17:05 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

i develop also on mac and i use intelij with the haxe plugin. There is a 30 day trial so you can test it.

greets

tom rhodes

May 14, 2013, 3:19:48 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
monodevelop is free i think?

http://www.joshuagranick.com/blog/?p=758

Daniel Freeman

May 14, 2013, 4:53:35 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Well, so far I've got through 3 IDEs (FDT5, Sublime Text 2, and Xaramin Studio) and not managed to get anything working.  But I'm determined to find a HaXe development environment by the end of the day.  I'm going to try IntelliJ next.

I admire the tenacity of all you Haxe NME developers, if you all had to get through this trial by fire to get started.  I take it that this is some kind of initiation test? - to filter out the unworthy?

The MonoDevelop link actually ends up installing Xaramin Studio.  Version 4... which may be the problem, because I think the plug-ins may be intended for version 3.  If I go to the Add-In Manager, the Haxe language bindings don't show up at all.  So I tried installing MonoDevelop.HaxeBindings from a file.  I got a dependency conflict:  Core v3.0 and IDE v3.0 could not be found in any repository.

Moving on to IntelliJ.....

Daniel Freeman

May 14, 2013, 5:52:16 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have any tips on how to include the NME libraries?  I assumed they were part of the haXe 2.10 library that I included- but apparently not.

I don't think my imports are working?

import nme.display.Sprite;
import nme.events.Event;
import nme.Lib;

In my code, Sprite, and Event are unresolved types.

Simon Krajewski

May 14, 2013, 6:02:06 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
NME is a library for haxe, you can install it using haxelib:
haxelib install nme

Simon

Cristian Baluta

May 14, 2013, 6:09:49 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I recommend you to get everything working from command line and don't care about the editor, so you understand how the things works. Later you can install plugins.

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

AS3Boyan

May 14, 2013, 6:56:33 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
to make it work in IDE you will need to include compiler argument
-lib nme

Also you can compile your project with this command:
nme build target
Where target can be flash/html5/android/ios/mac.

If that won't help, then try this:

You can create project template with this command:
nme create 01-Simple

This will create folder with project files in current folder.
Then you can compile it with
nme build flash

Then find .hx files, and try to change them.

Daniel Freeman

May 14, 2013, 9:50:48 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Well this has been a wasted day.

Everything was fine when I first installed NME, I played the command-line examples documented here:  http://www.nme.io/download/

So I can see why you're all suggesting that I go back to the command line - at least that worked.  I was coming to the same conclusion myself.  Who needs the luxury of an IDE anyway?  Nothing wrong with TextEdit and the Terminal command-line utility.

No seriously... It's only been the last year that I moved on from using amxmlc, and adt to build AIR apps.  So it's not too hard for me to go back to the old-fashioned way.  One question though????.... What is the HaXe equivalent of adl?  For debugging HaxeNME code?

haxelib install nme didn't work for me.

haxelib install nme
Using proxy 10.208.2.18:8080
Failed to connect on 10.208.2.18:8080

( I don't know if this has something to do with being behind the Great FireWall of China. )

The "-lib nme" suggestion sounded good.  But I don't know my way around IntelliJ (nor SublimeText 2, nor Xaramin Studio) well enough to know where to find the compiler options.  (All I know is that in Flash Builder I could get to them via Project Properties).

Daniel Freeman

May 14, 2013, 10:51:02 AM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I persevered a little more with IntelliJ - attempting to create a project from scratch.  I hit a different problem.

Error: haxe: No main class for module: MyNMEApp

I saw something on Stack Overflow about this error.  But my HaxeLib executable WAS set correctly - so that didn't help.

Daniel Freeman

May 14, 2013, 12:14:35 PM5/14/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
It's been about 12 hours since I started this endeavour.  Finally a breakthrough.

I found an archived old download of version 3.06 of MonoDevelop.  I installed the Haxe language plug-in, and targeting Mac - it works!  (I'll try targeting other platform tomorrow ..... need sleep)

BP

May 15, 2013, 1:15:50 PM5/15/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
So..... can you debug with MonoDevelop 3.06?

What features are working?
- building using NMML files
- code completiion
- debug Flash target
- debug C++ target

I'm on a Mac and have been searching for a nice Mac solution for Haxe.....

Daniel Freeman

May 16, 2013, 10:51:00 PM5/16/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
.nmml projects work.

I haven't found good debugging capabilities - although possibly I've overlooked them.  I really don't know this IDE that well. But when something goes wrong, I get an informative stack trace - including line numbers.  But I have to locate everything manually - I can't just click to go to that line.

For iOS and Android apps - I've found that I need to launch these from XCode or Eclipse respectively.  Maybe something is wrong with my set-up.

Marcus Pointner

May 17, 2013, 6:42:56 AM5/17/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
quite sensitive issue what you are bringing up here..

FTD(4/5) at the time being is not really the best alternative to work with NME/haxe (not on Mac, not on Win or Linux)!

One alternative you could look into is MonoDevelop 3.0 on MacOSX, it has good haxe/NME support, but not everybody likes it, because it feels like programming on Windows (the C# style).

Good alternatives for MacOSX would be SublimeText2 (or 3) or TextMate. Both have reasonable support for haxe/NME, but they are NOT a real IDE (but very good texteditors).

What I do at the moment is using FlashDevelop inside a VmwareFusion5 virtual machine (of Windows 7 preferably), which is running on top of MacOSX quite quick and flawlessly. I put my Project files into a Dropbox folder as well, which means that you can use them almost instantaniously in Mac and Win7 (yes, I know there is the possibility of shared folders etc, but I just found Dropbox works better, at least when you have a reasonable good internet connection..).

Almost everybody will agree that at the moment FlashDevelop ( http://www.flashdevelop.org ) in the moment has the best support for haXe/NME (out of the box), so maybe that's going to help you best..

What could be exiting in the future is the prospect of the new Android studio from Jetbrains ( www.jetbrains.com ) with support directly from Google ( http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html ), which is the new star of IDE's for Android development.. Unfortunately the use of the respective haXe/NME plugin is (as of now) restricted to the commercial edition of the Jetbrains IDE (means individual developer license for about U$D 200,-), so this does not halp at the moment (but maybe in the future)...

Hope that helps a little bit with the current pain.. ))
Marcus

Confidant

May 17, 2013, 12:47:02 PM5/17/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I feel your pain with the Mac thing Daniel. Hang in there till you get something; you will love Haxe and NME.

Justin Donaldson

May 17, 2013, 2:28:13 PM5/17/13
to Haxe
The vaxe plugin has NME support now, if you want to use vim.

-Justin

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Confidant <al...@alteredegg.com> wrote:
I feel your pain with the Mac thing Daniel. Hang in there till you get something; you will love Haxe and NME.

blog: http://www.scwn.net
twitter: sudojudo

con...@aaronmarkbrown.com

May 22, 2013, 5:50:19 PM5/22/13
to haxe...@googlegroups.com
I've tried all of the above for using Haxe + NME on my Hackintosh.

Sublime Text 2 + the Haxe Sublime Bundle is by far my favorite (and only one of a few that I ever actually got to work).

It has keyboard shortcuts for compiling with NME (and a lot of other stuff), and though it's not an IDE, people have written plugins for Sublime that add some IDE-like functionality (click on functions to go to definition, etc.), and the debug panel has been sufficient.

I recommend installing Haxe from here:

Then use haxelib on the command line to install nme, xfl, format, actuate, and any other libs you need. (You may have to use haxelib's dev command to point to libraries that haven't been added to the list for Haxe 3).