Vista to MSSQL Migration

ARO

Jul 9, 2021, 8:58:54 AM7/9/21
to Hardhats
Hello All,

How to migrate the Data from VistA to MSSQL?

What are the Ways do we have to migrate the data?

Please provide your Inputs.

Thanks Advance,
Aro

Sam Habiel

Jul 9, 2021, 10:11:27 AM7/9/21
to hardhats
Can you describe your situation in more detail?

In general, almost all people who switch EMRs keep the old data in the
previous EMR, as it is cost-prohibitive to move it. What can be done
is that you may be able to query the data from VistA using SQL.

--Sam
> --
> --
> http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Valerie J H Powell

Jul 11, 2021, 5:40:04 PM7/11/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aro,
I would suggest (1) learning about VistA FileMan queries and files before starting.
Obtain current VISTA Fileman Getting Started Manual.

Do not make assumptions about the structure of FileMan files before starting.

Practice simple queries before starting your data transfer work to make sure you understand how FileMan queries work.

Sincerely,
Valerie Powell

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Valerie J H Powell RT(R) retired, MS, PhD
University Professor Emerita, Computer & Information Systems
Project on Clinical Data Integration (CDI)
Robert Morris University
6001 University Boulevard
Moon Township, PA 15108-1189 USA

Kevin Toppenberg

Jul 11, 2021, 5:56:07 PM7/11/21
to Hardhats
Aro,

I am involved with a project right now that is migrating away from a VistA system.  The technique we are using is via an XML exporter that I wrote.  I export the selected files (and subfiles) to XML, and other members of the project have written code to consume the XML and somehow flatten it all out into relational tables.   But many who routinely work just with relational databases find the hierarchical nature of VistA data different than what they expect.

The long and the short is, what you want to do is difficult.

Kevin T

Valerie J H Powell

Jul 11, 2021, 5:58:18 PM7/11/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com