HOME device question

Kevin Toppenberg

Aug 1, 2022, 6:28:13 PM8/1/22
to Hardhats
I am stepping through code that compares a KIDS file to the local system.  As part of this, it asks for the output device via a call to ^%ZIS (standard device call).  The default is HOME, and this unfortunately has a page width of 80 characters. How do I change this?

At this link: https://hardhats.org/kernel/html/zis.html, it shows that HOME can be a default value.
And output variable IO(0) is set to the home device.  When I check this, I get as below, showing my home device is "/dev/pts/1"

yottadb>ZWR IO
IO="/dev/pts/1"
IO(0)="/dev/pts/1"
IO(1,"/dev/pts/1")=""
IO("HOME")="50^/dev/pts/1"
IO("IP")="192.168.1.182"
IO("ZIO")="/dev/pts/1"

I am a little hazy on the overlap of DEVICES, which can have defined TERMINAL TYPEs.  And I would think that my HOME device, would be the device that I have logged in with.  That doesn't seem to be the case, because the display I log in with has page width (IOM) of 120, not 80 chars.

The long and the short is, how do a change the default page width of the HOME device to be wider?

Thanks
Kevin

Coty Embry

Aug 1, 2022, 6:35:09 PM8/1/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com
There is a DEVICE or DEVICES file, I wonder if there is anything in there to help

On Aug 1, 2022, at 5:28 PM, Kevin Toppenberg <kdt...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Roy Gaber

Aug 1, 2022, 6:43:37 PM8/1/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Inquire into the DEVICE (#3.5) file for `50 and note the SUBTYPE, edit the TERMINAL TYPE for that subtype and change the right margin to 132

Kevin Toppenberg

Aug 1, 2022, 6:58:08 PM8/1/22
to Hardhats
Thanks for this reply

Showing FILE: DEVICE (#3.5)
 Entry #50,
     .01-NAME : TELNET
     .02-LOCATION OF TERMINAL : TELNET
     .03-MNEMONIC : <MULTIPLE-VALUED>
          Entry #1
             .01-MNEMONIC : TELNET
       1-$I : /dev/pts/
    1.95-SIGN-ON/SYSTEM DEVICE : YES
       2-TYPE : VIRTUAL TERMINAL
       3-SUBTYPE : C-VT102 (`60 in #3.2)
       4-ASK DEVICE : YES
     5.1-ASK HOST FILE : YES
     5.5-QUEUING : NOT ALLOWED
      51-OPEN COUNT : 95111
    2008-LAST SIGN-ON USER : xxx

-------------------------------

Above is my original records.  Below is what I changed it to.  This SUBTYPE is the same one I usually log in with.   So I'll just use that, with its right margin as I would like, rather than edit C-VT102

Showing FILE: DEVICE (#3.5)
 Entry #50,
     .01-NAME : TELNET
     .02-LOCATION OF TERMINAL : TELNET
     .03-MNEMONIC : <MULTIPLE-VALUED>
          Entry #1
             .01-MNEMONIC : TELNET
       1-$I : /dev/pts/
    1.95-SIGN-ON/SYSTEM DEVICE : YES
       2-TYPE : VIRTUAL TERMINAL
       3-SUBTYPE : C-VT120-KT (`198 in #3.2)
       4-ASK DEVICE : YES
     5.1-ASK HOST FILE : YES
     5.5-QUEUING : NOT ALLOWED
      51-OPEN COUNT : 95111
    2008-LAST SIGN-ON USER : xxx
-------------------------------

Thanks again
Kevin

David Whitten

Aug 14, 2022, 1:31:56 AM8/14/22
to Hardhats,
If you answer the Device: HOME //
with HOME;132;999
VistA will use the HOME device with 132 columns and 999 lines per page
Dave

Kevin Toppenberg

Aug 16, 2022, 12:13:23 PM8/16/22
to Hardhats