Easiest way to try out Vista - are there any VMs / sandboxes with everything preinstalled?

Adam Wojciech Koszek

Oct 20, 2021, 6:57:52 PM10/20/21
to Hardhats
Hello,

I'm Adam, CTO at https://www.segmed.ai. We help the R&D community get access to anonymized medical data. We have a set of de-identification tools for text/DICOM data that can allow clinics/hospitals to share their data, and a data platform to present/search that data in an easy way, allow data scientists to build datasets and also download this data.

I'm here because our team is striving to grow our EHR expertise. Frankly, none of the commercial systems are easy to try out and play with. We wondered if Vista could come as a rescue.

What's the easiest way to install it? Is there any easy-to-use tutorial/guide to install Vista + some GUI client, and maybe populate the instance with synthetic patient data?

I tried https://hardhats.org/foia.html but the link is dead.

I searched the archives and found this: https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.mumps/c/Lw3nBcJ4xZM/m/siyRCE3nAQAJ which points to some random GT.M VM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M%20Acculturation%20Workshop/ but it failed to import to my VirtualBox (error: Error 0x00000001: VDM API Error.)

Any pointers would be useful.

Thanks,

--
Adam Wojciech Koszek
CTO/Cofounder

Nancy Anthracite

Oct 20, 2021, 9:10:27 PM10/20/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Adam Wojciech Koszek

How about this:

https://hub.docker.com/r/worldvista/worldvista-ehr

--

Nancy Anthracite

Sam Habiel

Oct 21, 2021, 11:34:03 AM10/21/21
to hardhats, Adam Wojciech Koszek
Hi Adam,

Here's my reply at last. Sorry for not being able to post on hardhats;
you should be good to go from now on. We should have fixed the
settings yesterday. As you could tell, we don't get a lot of new
members frequently.

I am a former pharmacist, but I have spent most of my career either
configuring VistA for end users, training VistA end users, or doing
VistA programming, everything from M code, C# clients, Delphi clients,
and web clients.

While most of VistA is public domain, and you can download it and use
it, it doesn't mean that it's easy. And I am talking about beyond just
the technical aspects of getting up and running. So it really depends
on your objectives on what you want to do with it.

If you are interested in the step by step of installing and
configuring VistA from scratch, I wrote these articles a few years
ago: https://www.hardhats.org/projects/PROJECTSmain.html. It will take
you a few weeks to go through them though.

If you want to try out VistA, I recommend using the VEHU docker image.
Most of the packages are already configured, so you don't have to
set-up each VistA package manually. The instructions are here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/worldvista/vehu. The README there should have
full instructions on how to do things.

Personally, if I were you, I would look into Synthea
(https://synthetichealth.github.io/synthea/), and maybe use that in
conjunction with the VEHU docker image. (That part may not work as
well anymore--but if you have money, I am sure you can pay the
developers to keep it up to date with the Synthea changes.)

I am happy to talk by phone if you need more information.

--Sam