Washington Post Article about the Cerner Rollout

Nancy Anthracite

Jul 15, 2021, 6:04:11 AM7/15/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
VA chief halts rollout of massive digital health system for veterans, citing
serious flaws
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/va-veterans-records-system/2021/07/14/
fd508732-e4e9-11eb-8aa5-5662858b696e_story.html

--
Nancy Anthracite

Kevin Toppenberg

Jul 15, 2021, 6:28:13 AM7/15/21
to Hardhats
For some reason, Nancy's link is broken.  Here it is:

Kevin Toppenberg

Jul 15, 2021, 6:31:42 AM7/15/21
to Hardhats

So this seems to be a pause in the rollout.  And I assume they are talking about Cerner, right?

Serous questions: What are the real problems at play here?  Cerner has been used at many other locations without problems.  Is it that because this is government, the requirements are more strict?  Is it that the VA is not flexible enough?  Is it that Cerner is flawed through and through?

Kevin

Nancy Anthracite

Jul 15, 2021, 6:41:22 AM7/15/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Toppenberg
Unlike many places adopting Cerner, this is a place that has been running on a
system customized for what the VA does that works very well and it has a lot
of differences from the standard private hospital. There is a commitment to
use the same system as the DOD with as few accommodations as possible to
satisfy what the VA needs and using a different database which is not as
efficient hence the need for big infrastructure changes.

--
Nancy Anthracite

On Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:31:41 AM EDT Kevin Toppenberg wrote:

> So this seems to be a pause in the rollout. And I assume they are talking
> about Cerner, right?
>
> Serous questions: What are the real problems at play here? Cerner has been
> used at many other locations without problems. Is it that because this is
> government, the requirements are more strict? Is it that the VA is not
> flexible enough? Is it that Cerner is flawed through and through?
>
> Kevin
>
> On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 6:28:13 AM UTC-4 Kevin Toppenberg wrote:
>
> > For some reason, Nancy's link is broken. Here it is:
> >
> > Washington Post Article
> > <https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/va-veterans-records-system/
2021/07/14/fd508732-e4e9-11eb-8aa5-5662858b696e_story.html>

Tim Frazier

Jul 15, 2021, 8:38:50 AM7/15/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
I find the article very interesting, especially the comment byt the Senate concerning "milking the cow."

I have spoken to one friend who was on this project in a small way and I do not mean to impy all contractors are guilty of this, but she said she found herself filling out a time sheet but never having been assigned to do anything or assigned trivial tasks of no consequence.

It would not be the first time a government contractor filled a position to suckle form the government teat without ever providing any substantive return.

I might be finding myself in a similar circumstance as I have responded to a job interview invitation from a recruiter who provided me with a job description with a reference to MUMPS in the job title but nowhere else. And since the use of the acronym MUMPS has fallen out of vogue recently I find it even more alarming its replacement (cache object script) is also missing.

I am used to seeing these job descriptions containing the usual buzzwords like VistA, FileMan, or the names of Vista Applications like Lab

The JD reads like a description of an SQL super 'report writer' on steroids with an emphasis on Business Intelligence apps, data warehouse and cloud interfacing expertise.
I have NONE of those skills.
Why in the heck would they even wish to talk with me?
Just sounds very suspicious to me!!

Take care
Tim

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Sam Habiel

Jul 15, 2021, 9:07:07 AM7/15/21
to hardhats
Comments are also worth reading.

--Sam

ivaldes

Jul 15, 2021, 3:20:05 PM7/15/21
to Hardhats
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 7:38:50 AM UTC-5 tfrazier wrote:
emphasis on Business Intelligence apps

If statements.

data warehouse

Big disk space.

 and cloud interfacing expertise.

About 4ish main ways to do this with 'docker container'=same stuff re-packaged to make it harder to find on the file system.