Link to the Senate hearing on VA Electronic Health Records: Modernization and the Path Ahead - Recording of the Senate Meeting

Nancy Anthracite

Jul 16, 2021, 4:45:09 PM7/16/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Kevin Toppenberg

Jul 18, 2021, 8:32:27 AM7/18/21
to Hardhats

I've been listening to this while doing some other tasks...  I'm about 1 hr in...

I hear lots of questions like "I have concerns about issue ABC" and the director saying "Yes, ABC is a real problem, we are going to address this."  It is hard for me to see if this is grandstanding?  Or are they actually providing steering directions to the VA IT director?  If so, then can the VA IT director work effectively with ~17 congressional bosses?  One person said that they had been working on this issue for the 15 years he had been on the committee....  How would this compare to a project progress in Silicon Valley?  Are legislators even competent to guide a technology project?  The skill sets needed for getting elected likely don't overlap with the skill set needed to successfully get such a monumental task completed.

Another thought is that anytime there is a large organization, it would be easy to create a report of bad things happening.  I hope that by using the OIG that the reports are neutral.  But it would be interesting to compare reports of burnout with Cerner to burnout with VistA.  Is it that Cerner is of poorer quality?  Or is it that change is difficult?

To me it seems that the entire process involves > 10,000  persons all putting in an effort "good enough for government work."  And I don't see how it could possibly  be controlled.  It seems like a glacier slowly grinding its way down a mountain.   So the options seem to be to keep feeding it billions of dollars, or throw the entire thing out and waste the billions already spent.

Good grief...

Kevin

John P. Willis

Jul 18, 2021, 11:37:02 AM7/18/21
to hard...@googlegroups.com
You're so spot-on with this analysis, Dr. Toppenberg. I think another of the problems is a lack of accountability: even
if these politicians had the skill and foresight to understand and oversee projects of this magnitude, they always know
that if they just keep feeding the beast, even if it fails, they'll probably be out of office by that time anyway. Or, they
can blame it on VA upper management and do a shakeup of VA bureaucracy.

Fixing these problems IMO will require a wholesale re-evaluation of how public-sector IT is done, and a deeper investment
in community involvement. Not just creating another kneecapped-from-the-start agency like OSEHRA, but an organization
within each nucleus of public-sector IT activity (VA, DoD, and even non-healthcare-related agencies) that has real resources
dedicated to evaluating and integrating community contributions into their software lifecycles. I'm talking along the lines
of dedicated staff within each agency that can evaluate pull requests and merge them when appropriate, and providing
feedback when they're not.

It also requires healing the COTS pandemic in the public sector: they have to learn at some point that public-sector
operations are fundamentally different and with different workflows from private-sector operations. But, communities that
operate on free software principles tend to have goals more in line with the public-sector by nature. There could be a really
healthy and beautiful relationship built up in such kindred communities, if the specter of lobbying dollars was severely
curtailed.
http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats