Projected $39 billion cost for implementing Cerner for the VA

Nancy Anthracite

Jul 28, 2022, 9:14:47 AM7/28/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Wolfgang Giere

Jul 28, 2022, 11:15:03 AM7/28/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Is a serious cost estimate availalble how much it would cost to abandon Cerner and modernize VistA instead? Who would be credible and could calculate it for the congress members?

Wolfgang

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: [Hardhats] Projected $39 billion cost for implementing Cerner for the VA

Datum: 2022-07-28T15:14:52+0200

Von: "Nancy Anthracite" <nanth...@earthlink.net>

An: "hard...@googlegroups.com" <hard...@googlegroups.com>

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Phil Burkhalter

Jul 28, 2022, 11:29:38 AM7/28/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com

I am not in a position to give any kind of accurate estimate to modernize VistA in today’s market place, but I think the VA could build upon the VDIF database to centralize data and then modernize CPRS using a combination of VDIF and the local VistA databases. And I believe it could be done for less that the projected $39 Billion. And the advantages of owning the source code and data far outweigh paying for an external system like Cerner. This gives the VA the ability to make changes that are specific to government rather than having to deal with an external company and have to wait on that companies timelines for making and fielding changes.

Thanks,

Phil Burkhalter

President

Business Intelligence Systems, LLC

Office: 615-216-0559  (Preferred Number)

Cell: 615-603-6227

Phil.bu...@busintelonline.com

http://bis.busintelonline.com/

image001

Joseph Dal Molin

Jul 28, 2022, 11:50:41 AM7/28/22
to Hardhats

..." and $17 billion to maintain over the next 15 years"  so rough cost of ownership is $54 billion...not including lost productivity through "change management" and how do you put a price on medical errors and patient impact?

Just in case anyone has forgotten that this happened before in the UK which wasted over 12 billion pounds on their EHR project..

https://www.centreforpublicimpact.org/case-study/electronic-health-records-system-uk/

“The Rt Hon Margaret Hodge MP, Chair of the Committee of Public Accounts, today said: 'The Department of Health is not going to achieve its original aim of a fully integrated care records system across the NHS. Trying to create a one-size-fits-all system in the NHS was a massive risk and has proven to be unworkable. The Department has been unable to demonstrate what benefits have been delivered from the £2.7 billion spent on the project so far.'”

Kevin Toppenberg

Jul 28, 2022, 12:14:10 PM7/28/22
to Hardhats
I think one fundamental problem is that the VA has had difficulty modernizing its stuff in the past; I'm certain the overall work is quite difficult.  So they have gotten Cerner to do it.  And as per Nancy's other posts, the are not doing it 100% correct.  But because it is an outside company, the VA can absolved from any guilt.    If the VA were doing all this themselves, someone might loose their nice government job. Didn't they used to say, "No one ever got fired for choosing IBM"?  I'm thinking someone feels the same way about Cerner.

Still $39 billion is a big chunk of change.

Kevin

ivaldes

Jul 28, 2022, 1:42:46 PM7/28/22
to Hardhats
I was assured by government officials that this would not happen.

ivaldes

Jul 28, 2022, 3:31:56 PM7/28/22
to Hardhats
By my calculation the government could purchase 9.28 Funko Pops per US citizen instead.

Wolfgang Giere

Jul 28, 2022, 7:09:39 PM7/28/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Please keep in mind,  I am German and only a physician: What is a 'Funko Pop'?

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2022-07-28T21:32:00+0200

Von: "ivaldes" <ival...@gmail.com>

An: "Hardhats" <hard...@googlegroups.com>

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Phillip Johnson

Jul 28, 2022, 7:23:48 PM7/28/22
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Cartoon figurines

Sent from my iPhone

Steven McPhelan

Jul 29, 2022, 10:57:24 AM7/29/22
to hardhats
Don't feel bad Wolfgang.  I am American and I still don't know what they are.

Steve
Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech - Benjamin Franklin