Advanced Framing

Frank Danna

Mar 5, 2010, 12:54:41 AM3/5/10
to sjd...@earthlink.net
http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-030-advanced-framing

Concerning the above link about 24" OC stack framing, single top plates, Etc...

First read it sounds like BS. After reading it a few times Some of it makes sense.

This type of framing is common in modular homes, otherwise known as trailers, double wides,
manufactured housing, Etc..

These are my thoughts/opinions about "advanced framing"

This link compares it to the old ways of building.
There is no comparison other then the concept of stack framing.
"In the Old Days" a 2x? was actually a full 2" thick and a full 4" or 6" or 8" wide
and in most cases it was old growth oak.

That is why it worked and will still work
if a builder can find a mill willing to accommodate.
Cost just went through the roof!
Compared to todays 1.5" x 3.5" or 5.5" etc.. from new growth pine.
Pine compared to oak for strength? even if it was the same size, Hello!

Have you ever looked at a hand drive 16d nail from then compared to air driven
nails today? No comparison. What framing company do you know that will HD everything?
Maybe some Amish contractors.

"Back in the day" bracing was a real 2x notched into real wood, on all outside corners.
So we have resorted to quick,easy and questionable
OSB or plywood on the corners for bracing?

The benefits I see from this type of construction are:
Well insulated walls.
assuming it is installed correctly( but that does nothing
if the air leaks are not addressed)
If the air leaks are addressed then modern 16" OC, 2x4 framing is much stronger
and as efficient if not more so then "advanced framing".

I think the savings on material are slightly overstated and the savings on labor is
greatly overstated. Look at all those metal fasteners, top plates, drywall clips, etc..
That is all hand nailing, labor.