mineral wool/rock wool

Frank Danna

Apr 3, 2010, 2:30:14 AM4/3/10
to sjd...@earthlink.net
I am the GC on a basement finish job with a full Kit. Bath.  The subs are about done and now it is time to fire block everything.   Mineral wool is the blocking material that most FD expect to see along with 1/2"drywall on the top plates and fire block caulk.

This fire marshal has never heard of fire block foam.
Also due to there being a stove in the basement we have to use 5/8ths type x drywall. No big deal, normal fire block.

 But what is used to make that drywall have a 20 minute burn time?

The mineral wool I typically use for a basement has an R value of  4.2,  BPI says  R-3.

BPI also says "do no harm".  we are not suppose to de pressurize a home that has asbestos or other obvious contaminants.

What about rock wool , fiberglass insulation?  These ARE contaminants comparable to asbestos, check this link.

www.atsdr.cdc.gov/DT/fibrous_glass_061402.pdf

Has anyone done any controlled testing on the amount of asbestos, rock wool, fiberglass, or mold that will be drawn into a home's living space with a blower door?

On to another subject, CO.

BPI states, "at least one CO detector meeting UL-2034 requirements"

"
No standards for CO have been agreed upon for indoor air.  The U.S. National Ambient Air Quality Standards for outdoor air are 9 ppm (40,000 micrograms per meter cubed) for 8 hours, and 35 ppm for 1 hour."
Direct from the EPA, check the link, www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html

So BPI has applied out door CO levels endorsed by the EPA to the interior of a home and is recommending the use of CO detectors that don't meet there own standards.

BPI's standards for CO way exceed the UL-2034 in one part of their manual, but in another area they embrace the UL standards.

Check these links and make note of bacharch's standards.

www.alliedsalescompany.com/ul/2034.pdf
www.bacharach-training.com/cozone/changesinalarmstandards1.htm

On to another subject, furnace inspection.
BPI states," visually inspect the burner as the blower fan comes on".    I do not recall seeing any one doing that in training, field mentoring, or test out.

 Anyone with a long term serious hands on background in construction and an open mind will be able to take the transfer of knowledge and make a home efficient. No need to spend 10-20K on equipment that tells you what you already know.

Frank