FW: Forestry, Greening & Urban Ag Recommendations for Oakland Climate Action Plan

Rob Bennaton

Nov 13, 2019, 1:44:52 AM11/13/19
to Rob Bennaton

Please share widely and/or consider attending.

Sorry if a repeat, or new news.  Kid friendly, but,

RSVP really preferred.  Late RSVPs still allowed.

Ask Colin if questions arise, but, note, he may be

Unable to respond.  Thanks.

From: co...@oaklandclimateaction.org <colinoakland...@gmail.com>
Subject: Forestry, Greening & Urban Ag Recommendations for Oakland Climate Action Plan

Hello All,

With the Kincade and North Bay fires blazing out of control, it's more important now than ever to come together and define a clear vision for how Oakland can take equitable climate action now.

I'm writing you all because of your expertise and experience at the intersection of forestry, urban agriculture, urban greening, ecosystem restoration and equity (City is calling "Carbon Removal", with two invitations:

  1. You're invited to be a 'content expert' on policies to help the Neighborhood Leadership Cohort members co-facilitate a breakout session on "Carbon Removal" at two upcoming Town Halls on Oakland's 2030 Equitable Climate Action Plan (ECAP) this Saturday, 11/2 and Weds, 11/13. Please let us know by this Thursday whether you can serve in that capacity and at which Town Hall.

Background

As you know, development of the City of Oakland’s 2030 Equitable Climate Action Plan (ECAP) is well underway.

The Public Review Draft of the 2030 ECAP was published online on Friday, here: http://www.oakland2030.com/. The Plan was written by Integral Group, the Plan Writer contracted by the City of Oakland. While some of the strategies included in the community recommendations (full list of recommendations can be found here) were included; most were not.

We are looking for specific ways that the City can support programs and projects supported by community recommendations with policies or incentives. What would make your vision for equity in this area possible?

We need to hear from you with your recommendations.

Town Halls

The next step in development of the Plan is Town Halls, the official public forums for Oakland community members to review and provide feedback on the draft Plan. In addition to just commenting on the strategies in the Plan, residents will have a chance to vote on how they feel about each strategy, and propose recommendations for how strategies now in the plan should change, if they should be kept, and what additional strategies / policies should be added.

The two Town Halls are:

  • The second Town Hall is Wednesday Nov 13, from 6 - 9 pm at the Lincoln Square Rec Center (250 10th St), dinner at 5 pm. RSVP

Thank you so much for your support!

In solidarity,
Colin

Colin Miller (He / Him / His)
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."

"When 'I' is replaced by 'we', even illness becomes wellness."  ~ Malcolm X

Coordinator, Oakland Climate Action Coalition (OCAC)
Co-Applicant, East Oakland Neighborhoods Initiative (EONI)
Equity Facilitator, 2030 Equitable Climate Action Plan (ECAP)

cell: (646) 703-4837
www.oaklandclimateaction.org
https://www.eoni510.com
http://www.oakland2030.com - What's your 2030 vision for Oakland? Share your ideas and help shape Oakland's 2030 Equitable Climate Action Plan by taking our public survey today!

Findings from ECAP Workshops Summary.docx