Call for papers: Orthodoxy and Innovation

June Samaras

Mar 29, 2009, 5:51:08 PM3/29/09
to hellas-greece

You are hereby invited to submit abstracts (300 words) for papers to be selected for presentation at an international interdisciplinary symposium organized by the Modern Greek Studies of University of Copenhagen:

Orthodoxy and Innovation
In the Greek-speaking world from
Byzantium to the 21st century
June 5-7 2009

The symposium is open to participants from all disciplines within the Humanities, Theology and Social and Political sciences and we encourage young as well as experienced scholars to participate. Please send your abstracts to t...@hum.ku.dk before 20 April 2009. You will be informed whether your abstract is accepted shortly thereafter.

Participant fees:
Registration fee: 100 DKK or 15 €
Registration fee and two lunches: 225 DKK or 30 €
Registration fee, two lunches and conference dinner: 750 DKK or 100 €

Key speakers includes:

Effie Fokas, Director, LSE Forum for Religion, London School of Economics, UK
Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia (Timothy Ware), Oxford University, UK
Nikos Kokosalakis, professor (retired), Liverpool University, UK
Vasilios Makrides, Professor, University of Erfurt, Germany
Maria Politi, president of the Hellenic Paleographic Association, Greece
Elizabeth Prodromou, Ass. Professor, Boston University, USA

The symposium theme:
The symposium touches upon a theme which has been little researched within European cultural, social and religious studies. In academic circles Orthodox Christianity, and in particular its Greek version, tends to be characterized as traditional and conservative. The initiator of the Symposium, Dr. Trine S. Willert, studies developments in national and religious identity in Greece today through the research project ‘Religious innovation and education in Greece’. This project has given rise to the idea of an international symposium on innovation and Greek Orthodoxy. The symposium will attempt to understand how the Orthodox Church and theology have been, through innovation, a contributory cause of change in society and culture in different historic periods and how Orthodoxy in Greece and among Greek communities has adapted to social change in innovative ways.
The focus on Greek Orthodoxy is specific because Orthodoxy always has been characterized by a will to express the ‘authentic’ Christianity, an aspect even stronger in its Greek version due to the linguistic intimacy with Holy Scripture and the Church Fathers. However, the symposium invites contributions from a broad temporal span and a wide-ranging approach to the expressive forms and social domains of Orthodoxy. This approach should ensure that the symposium can involve a diverse group of participating scholars from numerous disciplines.

June Samaras
KALAMOS BOOKS
(For Books about Greece)
2020 Old Station Rd