Question about happstack 8 roadmap?

langel...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2013, 9:24:11 AM9/30/13
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have just started to use this library and I quite like it. I read in the blog about the next version and the expected performance increase seems quite awesome. Are there any news about on the progress of that new version?

Kind regards,

Luis

Jeremy Shaw

Sep 30, 2013, 12:04:55 PM9/30/13
to HAppS
The new backend is called hyperdrive and is now in development. We were blocked for a long time waiting for conduits/iostreams/pipes/etc to settle down. Now that pipes-4 is out, we have a solid IO layer to work worth -- so things can finally progress.

- jeremy

langel...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2013, 1:17:57 PM9/30/13
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer :)

Mats Rauhala

Jan 8, 2014, 1:34:46 AM1/8/14
to HAppS
Is there a happstack-8 branch somewhere? The one on hub.darcs.net seems
to be the happstack 7 branch with mainly maintenance patches.
--
Mats Rauhala
MasseR

Jeremy Shaw

Jan 8, 2014, 9:56:29 PM1/8/14
to HAppS
There is not a Happstack 8 branch -- nor is their likely to be. Things
are largely decoupled and improved incrementally -- so there is not a
need to have a special unstable branch -- instead things are released
as they are done.

That said -- there are some new things that are/will be appearing.
There is a new backend slated, which will be here:

https://github.com/stepcut/hyperdrive

Though what is there is not really of interest at the moment. There
will be a series of blog posts coming out shortly that will discuss a
bunch of the design decisions for the new backend. That way people can
complain before it has any users to disrupt :)

There is also work on a modern replacement for
plugins/plugins-auto/happstack-plugins that uses ghc-api+fsnotify.
(This allows automatic recompilation and reloading of code into a
running server -- which speeds up development time).

A lot of recent effort has been focused on updating The Happstack Book:

http://happstack.com/docs/crashcourse/index.html

And also making improvements to clckwrks:

http://www.clckwrks.com/

hyperdrive was delayed a long time waiting for pipes to stabilize.
But, things are looking good with pipes now, so hyperdrive will be
bumped up in priority after the new plugins stuff is done.

- jeremy

Dag Odenhall

Jan 9, 2014, 8:00:12 AM1/9/14
to ha...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:56 AM, Jeremy Shaw <jer...@n-heptane.com> wrote:
There is also work on a modern replacement for
plugins/plugins-auto/happstack-plugins that uses ghc-api+fsnotify.

Cool, anything public at this time?  Will this work for things other than Happstack?  Will it include both static and dynamic interfaces?

Jeremy Shaw

Jan 20, 2014, 6:18:53 PM1/20/14
to HAppS
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Dag Odenhall <dag.od...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cool, anything public at this time?

No. I would be happy to put it on github -- as soon as it has a stable
name. The name 'plugins' implies the wrong sort of thing. Also, what
the old plugins does is really all done by the ghc api now. So, this
code would really be replacing what is currently called plugins-auto.

It contains the code that uses fsnotify + the ghc-api to watch files
and automatically recompile and reload them.

Any suggestions for snazzy names? Perhaps things related to sci-fi and
space travel?

> Will this work for things other than Happstack?

Yes. The base layer will be something like plugins-auto. If needed, we
will build a happstack-plugins like thing on top of it.

> Will it include both static and dynamic interfaces?

Yes.

- jeremy

Alex Greif

Jun 25, 2015, 9:20:47 AM6/25/15
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the last post was more than a year ago...
are there any news on the "happsatck 8 roadmap" ?

thanks,
Alex.

Jeremy Shaw

Jun 28, 2015, 3:18:51 AM6/28/15
to HAppS
Hello Alex!

Much work is still happening in the greater Happstack ecosystem. But it is true that the core of Happstack has received less attention recently. In part this is because the core of Happstack is so reliable that there has not been a huge imperative to spend a lot of time hacking on it. Making sure it does not bitrot is very important. But much of the interesting development these days in the outer layers. Is isomorphic javascript a good idea or a bad idea? And if so, how can we have isomorphic Haskell instead?

So, much time has been spent in the outer realms working on things like client-side Haskell, Stripe libraries, etc.

However, it is a thorn in my side that the core Happstack code has not received as much attention as I would like. I do have plans to get back to focusing on things like 'hyperdrive' very soon now because the HTTP standards are evolving to the point where there are now new things we would like to support rather than minor improvements to things we already support.

So, I guess the news is -- we spent a lot of time working on Happstack related tasks -- a new version of happstack-authenticate, a better stripe library, etc. So, in that sense, a lot has been happening. But, we also recognize that not everyone cares about those things and that there are improvements to the core which would be more exciting to the general public.

- jeremy

Alex Greif

Jun 28, 2015, 3:49:48 AM6/28/15
to ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

thanks for the detailed explanation.
I am currently beginning haskell web development and have a few questions regarding happstack's development...
May I ask
- how many haskell developers are working on happstack ecosystem?
- what happens if some keyplayers, for any reason, cannot continue on the project?
- are specific parts, like 'hyperdrive' developed in a team, or is the loss of one person a serious showstopper?

I could ask these questions also the yesod team ... I am still in the phase of finding the right framework for me.

thanks,
ALex.