Linux to Win server 2003 connectivity

Hitman

Jan 3, 2008, 2:37:18 AM1/3/08
to HiR Information Report
I am having trouble accessing some resourses on my linux box from a
win 2003 server even when administrative rights. I actually lost alot
of data because after making some changes to some configuration files
like /etc/pam.d and so forth and initially all was working well i
could access everything and even had access to both DNS and DHCP logs
to see who was logged on and what IP they were assigned after a reboot
however (the next day) i couldnt log on even as root under the
failsafe option a real bummer anyone configured linux box kernel 2.6*
to work properly with win2003 server?

ax0n

Jan 3, 2008, 6:26:01 AM1/3/08
to HiR Information Report
Do you know which of the distributions it was, for example Ubuntu,
Fedora, Debian, etc?

As a general rule, the first thing you should try from here is single
user mode. I don't know if that's the failsafe option or not, but if
you see a single-user mode, give that a try. It should boot without
asking for a password. None of the network services will start. If
you can't find the option for single-user mode or you get prompted for
a password, your best bet is to use a linux installation CD
(preferably from the distribution you have currently installed) to
either automatically repair your install, or to use as a single user
mode shell to access the files.

Messing with the pam.d files is messing with how the system
authenticates users, so my best guess is that you somehow managed to
lock yourself out by breaking PAM.

-ax0n

Hitman

Jan 4, 2008, 3:40:43 AM1/4/08
to HiR Information Report

Hi, it was suse linux 10.2 and you are right about locking myself out
because i couldnt get in via single user mode and the cd didnt help
much either. I have just upgraded to suse 10.3 and i have to say the
GUI is pretty annoying.However can you tell me the correct steps to
follow in authenticating myself as a priviledged user on a win2003
server network using my linux box. Would really appriciate it.

If it isnt too much to ask i had some old zipped files whose password
i can not remember do you know any password crackers preferably for
linux that i can use?

cheers.

ax0n

Jan 4, 2008, 7:31:43 AM1/4/08
to HiR Information Report
You have to tweak some settings on Windows 2003. This had been the
bane of my existence before and I recall fixing it at one of my
previous jobs, but I haven't dealt with Windows 2003 in ages. I had
to search for the solution again, and came up with an article on
accessing Server 2003 from Mac OS X. OS X uses Samba just like Linux,
so the part of this howto for the Windows Server should help you out:
http://allinthehead.com/retro/218/accessing-a-windows-2003-share-from-os-x

Here's an open source tool for recovering passwords from zip files. I
don't think it works on the high-level encryption that the commercial
version of WinZIP uses, but you can give it a shot:
http://www.goof.com/pcg/marc/fcrackzip.html

--ax0n

Phillip Kiregyera

ax0n

Jan 6, 2008, 6:23:58 PM1/6/08
to HiR Information Report
How'd it work out?

On Jan 4, 6:39 am, "Phillip Kiregyera" <pro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks alot i'll check them out after i get some shut eye. Thanks again.
>
> On 1/4/08, ax0n <perman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > You have to tweak some settings on Windows 2003.  This had been the
> > bane of my existence before and I recall fixing it at one of my
> > previous jobs, but I haven't dealt with Windows 2003 in ages.  I had
> > to search for the solution again, and came up with an article on
> > accessing Server 2003 from Mac OS X. OS X uses Samba just like Linux,
> > so the part of this howto for the Windows Server should help you out:
> >http://allinthehead.com/retro/218/accessing-a-windows-2003-share-from...

Hitman

Jan 10, 2008, 9:28:54 AM1/10/08
to H-...@googlegroups.com
Hi i've been out of touch because things went from bad to worse and i've decided to nuke the hdd and start fresh. here has been a lot of dabate but what do you think is the better choice ext3 or xfs?

On Jan 6, 2008 6:23 PM, ax0n <perm...@gmail.com> wrote:

How'd it work out?

ax0n

Jan 10, 2008, 9:34:42 AM1/10/08
to HiR Information Report
For production servers or systems where uptime is critical, I'd stick
with ext3. It works. On my personal system, I might be tempted to
play with XFS. The choice is yours, but ext3 is a time-proven winner
if reliability and stability is key, especially if you don't need the
features that XFS offers which ext3 does not.

Best of luck!
--ax0n

On Jan 10, 8:28 am, Hitman <pro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi i've been out of touch because things went from bad to worse and i've
> decided to nuke the hdd and start fresh. here has been a lot of dabate but
> what do you think is the better choice ext3 or xfs?

Hitman

Jan 10, 2008, 9:44:53 AM1/10/08
to H-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I'll try xfs for a bit and see how it performs. Are you line a network admin or something?

ax0n

Jan 10, 2008, 10:07:26 AM1/10/08
to HiR Information Report
Close. I am an information security professional for a multi-national
corporation.

On Jan 10, 8:44 am, Hitman <pro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I'll try xfs for a bit and see how it performs. Are you line a
> network admin or something?

Hitman

Jan 10, 2008, 10:22:41 AM1/10/08
to H-...@googlegroups.com
Good for you. Am a network admin for a not so big company an users are getting to my last nerve. I did CCNA some time back and recently i decided to upgrade but am undecided on CCNP or CCSP.

Anyway i've been looking for a multi purpose network monitor kind of like smartfilter but with more features. there is zenworks but its like 2+ GB and i havent been convinced by its filtering tool ie (smart filter is much better)
I guess am if you know of a tool or tools (that are not HUGE) that i can use to filter web access view what users are up to and monitor my bandwidth usage. I'll put some emphasis on the open sourse part.

Thanks alot for your assistance thus far

Joel Kershner

Jan 10, 2008, 8:11:44 PM1/10/08
to H-...@googlegroups.com
A while back I was talking to a panicked sysadmin on the #linux irc forum.  Apparently his XFS file system had melted down.

I'm not clear if it was his raid controller that went south or if the file system went nuts but I recall that finding support resources on it was pretty rough.

Really ext3 is the best option because of its wide adoption and it currently being developed. XFS is nice but the only advantage I see is the online file system dump capability.  Ext3 when combined with LVM2 is a pretty strong combo.

Good luck!
-Joel